EvoIII turbo

Is the EvoIII Turbo a direct bolt on for an 89 quest?

Not directly, The Turbine housing "will" bolt on to the manifold but the size difference of the volute between the manifold and housing will not match up at all with out porting or enlargement. The Compressor side is also a different fit. The TD05H turbos have a flanged compressor housing compared to out normal stick a hose on and go style.

Your options though if you decide to use that turbo are (in combination):

-machine the stock turbine housing to fit the TD05H turbine

-Machine the Stock compressor housing to fit the EVO3 16G cartridge

so basically you'll just be using the CHRA (compressor housing rotating assembly) of the turbo and the stock compressor and turbine housings.

I personally like the Stock turbine housing because of it's 8cm volute :) as compared to the EVO3 7cm housing.

Mitsubishi used a 8cm housing on the 12A to be able to strech out it's efficiency range and not to choke the big motor it was thrown on to :)

I hope this helps.

-Chips

If you do some work to the mounting studs in the exhaust manifold and you make a new downpipe it can be. Making the new downpipe is the problem. You'll have to remove the compressor housing and reposition it and the cartridge but its not impossible and with the high prices of a bolt on turbo a new downpipe isn't that much.

This is an interesting thread, as I have a couple of EVO 6 turbos spare. I have a 15g and a 16g and looking at this thread it seems that if its possible to either machine the existing hot side or a hot side from an EVO 3 I could use the TD05HR's ???

Is this correct?

You can't make a reverse scroll compressor housing, or either wheel work with a non reverse scroll housing all those parts must be used together.

What you can do is use the cartridge since it has been machined for the larger compressor wheel and use your old stock TD05 turbine shaft with that newer cartridge and your stock turbine housing and now look for a EVOiii or older or DSM compressor wheel and compressor housing. You will have to make a bracket to mount your actuator but this is NOT difficult or is repositioning the housings.

Be wise to also buy a rebuild kit.

Now, what have you spent? You got some different compressor wheel and housing and kit and you have to do this. What does a complete new China turbo off ebay cost? See, it may not be worth the cost and time to rebuild a turbo this way and instead you have to mod some bolt holes to use a newer Mitsu turbo and put your efforts into a new downpipe.