weird sputter

joe87tsi

i have an 87 conquest and i'm having a hard time trying to figure out why my car sputters. it starts sputtering around 4k rpms. i replaced the fusible links and noticed when then fusible link to the alternator is not hooked up, there is no sputter and the car runs great, but when the link is hooked up there is a sputter. bad alternator wiring, bad alternator?

You could think about it like this, no alternator you are running on battery power, you rev the motor it takes some, you increase rpms that makes for quicker injector firing, you boost and the pump needs to add a little pressure. Those things aren't happening like they should so you put the juice back on and the injectors start to fire properly and the pump is running like its supposed to and your dirty or pluged in wrong CTS and those injector clips and the dirty injectors cause those things. Leaky intercooler hose couplers, might be spark plug related, and what's most common is that your vacuum advance isn't working to retard timing under boost so the knock sensor and ignitor start to pull timing when it senses that so the cars jerks and bucks and doesn't like to rev up. You can pull the dist. cap off and the hose to the vac. adv and use some short piece of hose and then suck on it and watch the arm move, it should pull in and then stick your tongue over the end of the hose to seal in that vacuum and the arm shouldn't move, if it does then the vac. adv. is bad and you must replace it. Its about 65.00 at the dealer or an autoparts store it won't really much matter where you get one. Might also be coolant spraying in from a crack in the head too. You'd have to inspect and watch the plugs and your coolant level to verify that.

Details of what your ignitor and vac. adv. do and why that happens is here:

http://www.b2600turbo.com/distributorvacuum_advance_unit.htm

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/distri4.jpg