Brake Boosting

I recently used this technique to beat a corvette using only 3rd gear instead of starting in second then shifting to third. It's very effective, kindof like a two step for use on the highway. No sudden shocks to the driveline either, since you're already rolling. All you do is get into one gear higher than you might normally start, and hold the brake to keep your speed steady, but floor the loud pedal. But anyway, my turbo sees full boost pretty close to 4000rpm, slightly before and I can get maybe 5psi around 3000rpm just standing on it in a higher gear.

I didn't have much time to look since I was driving, but I glanced down and saw closer to 10psi while doing this, a little more than 3K, maybe 3200. So I was able to leave "the line" making boost and no shifting kept me ahead of him the whole time. Doing the 2-3 shift dropped me back and 3rd would catch me up to him. It's always better to stay in front. :)

So I don't know how this will work for insta-boost/stock or small sized turbos, but with larger turbos that lag a bit, this seems to really give an edge.

Wait a minute you started in 3rd gear? from a stand still? That is what it sounded like to me by your wording. Please correct me.

As I read it, it was from a roll and he tried it initially starting in 2nd gear and fell behind on the 2-3 shift. So they went again, starting in 3rd and brake boosted for the win. :)

Also a darn handy trick for racing a laggy car on the track or in an autocross. I've attempted it a few times before and have to say it takes a lot of skill to manage a car like that in a corner, but the results are amazing!