Understeer problem HELP!!

I have an 88 SHP Starion with sway bars, new kyb shocks, coilovers, and 1" wheel spacers on the front. I drift once a month and am tired of the wicked understeer on my starion even after all of this. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thx!!!

Running camber plates? What are your alignment specs?

- Without camber plates and being lowered significantly, your front tire contact patch is greatly depleted, causing the front to push.

What size tires front and rear?

- Try running the same size front and rear, instead of larger rears, 225/45/16's all around works well for the AutoX guys.

Yea i am running 215 40 16 on the fronts and 245 50 16 on the rear. I thought about going 245 in the front for more contact patch and see how it handled. I do not have camber plates, and i need an alignment now that you mention it.

Any suggestions for tires in the front. I have a pretty sticky tire but its a cheapo nankang. I would appreciate it. Also i am ordering camber plates from 101 wanted to know what negative camber settings would be best for drifting. Idriftjunk your wheels are sick on the read starcar.

If you want 245 width tires all around, get a 45 sidewall. Good performing tires in 16" are becoming harder and harder to find so really you just gotta see whats available and go from there. I believe Toyo makes a 245/45 in the "Proxis" line.

Also, depending on how low you are, you could be way outta spec without camber plates, and have no way to correct it.

Edited by dmyers151

True but if your low, w/o camber plates your running negative camber, which is a good thing for turning. Positive or zero camber will make you understeer. I can't speak first hand about camber settings on my car yet cause its not finished. But a few of my friends run any where from 3-5 degrees negative camber. You'll have to "test and tune" till it feels right. I would look at Falkens RT 615s for the front. A lot of ppl I know run them and are very happy with them. Try to get another set of rear shps, for the front, or even non shp 8 inchers. If your able to adjust the stiffness of your suspension, stiffen up the rears and soften up the fronts. If you have no adjustment, look into getting different spring rates that will fit your coilovers.

Put the stock front sway bar on, but leave the upgraded sway bar in the rear. If they have adjustable linkages, loosen the front and tighten the rear. That should make an immediate difference without costing you any more money.

If you only changed the front sway bar, therein lies your problem.

I changed out everything not ust the front sway bar. I have been trying out new parts one at a time to try and cure this but all i have done is taken away all my body roll. I just can't seem to hold my drifts. Either my tail end kicks around too far or i am understeering trying to start a drift. I will post a youtube link here in a bit when it uploads.

You need to counter faster, and work on your throttle control. Steering angle in quests suck, bottom line. Your a little late countering when your transitioning. Work on using weight transfer to enter rather than just trying to over steer. The problem your having is that your understeering going in, then clutch kicking and your not countering fast enough to catch it cause your wheels are already pointing in the wrong direction. Its just practice brother. Get a good set of fronts too...

Falken azenis are good tires. I would highly suggest those for the fronts or dulop direzzas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-225-50-16-Falken-Azenis-RT-615K-Tires-50R16-R16-50R-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335bafaddaQQitemZ220581572058QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You can find them much cheaper. Thats discount for ya. I am getting a set of 4 for 450 shipped. I dont think those are a lame tread pattern. Also I switched to 8's in front and rear. Helped me alot.

Hmmm well i know someone watchted the video lol. I agree i think im late on all my reactions. I guess i am thinking my udnerpowered car has more umph lol. Damn guys and their 240's with power on demand!! Thank you all for your suggestions, I really apprecfiate your help.

The 4G project is slowly in the works now. Seatching for all the necessary parts for bolting my narrowblock up the cheap way.

tires man. Get a good set of street/ track tires for the fronts, something sticky.

Exactly...You wont believe the difference good front tires make for drifting....

Falken azenis are good tires. I would highly suggest those for the fronts or dulop direzzas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-225-50-16-Falken-Azenis-RT-615K-Tires-50R16-R16-50R-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335bafaddaQQitemZ220581572058QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You can find them much cheaper. Thats discount for ya. I am getting a set of 4 for 450 shipped. I dont think those are a lame tread pattern. Also I switched to 8's in front and rear. Helped me alot.

Also Azenis are great tires. They are what I used to run. One thing you need to remember is that they have now switched over to a new tread pattern. I ran over something in a set of Azenis that I have a few weeks and have a warranty on my tires. Discount tire co had to contact Falken directly and I literally got the last 215/40/16 Falken Azenis with the old tread pattern/or the tire above. Im not sure what Discount tires will do if something else happens to my tires cuz they sure as heck cant give me the new Azenis with the new tread pattern and I have 3 other different Azenis. Guess time will tell

For now Scotty Dont and I are Rocking Bfgoodrich KDWs up front. They are very comparable, but Azenis should be a bit more grippy due to the threadwear difference.

Also get an alignment and have them add 1 to 2 degrees of caster in the front. That will help with counter-steering. It will make the steering wheel counter-steer itself much faster helping you out big time

Edited by MoltoMario

Also get an alignment and have them add 1 to 2 degrees of caster in the front. That will help with counter-steering. It will make the steering wheel counter-steer itself much faster helping you out big time

Very true. It also will have a better return to center.

Anyone ever tell you you drive like a pissed off teenager. Take your time and feel it. You will need to learn things like just slipping the wheel coming out of turns to keep the slide and come off it gradually instead of getting that hard bit and the car wanting to snap the other way. Your car does seem to be running great. But remember 80hp corollas can drift. We are heavier but do have torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk

Watch it. the drift bible is definitely a good view. Your not gonna go out there and just start tearing it up but will help you think of weight transfer and braking. You looked like you were trying to get as much in as possible but getting upset. Just take it one slide at a time.

Lol that was my last run of the day and i was pissed lol. More though i just wanted to tear it up and burn off my set of tires that i had on there. I figured when i spin out TEAR IT UP LOL. Nexy event is June 3rd at the pikes peak int'l raceway parking lot. I will have camber plates by then so i will do all the alignment stuff you all have given me info on. Will be runnin 245's on the front to see what that does. Damn i love this site :)

i wouldnt run 245s on stock wheels especially up front.. though it may give you more contact surface. it also has alot more sidewall flex which will also cause you to understeer. trust me this happened to me when i had 225s on a set of 7s.. everytime i kicked the clutch in 3rd gear it would break loose and then just all of a sudden the front would pull itself back causing me to straighten out. once i put my rear 8s up front with 205/50s on i felt a big difference and wasnt having the problem anymore.

since your still learning get a good set of grippy tires up front id go with 205/50, 205/45 or 215/45 and for the rears just get some cheap used tires 225/50s are good or 215/45s.

Yea anything cheap on the front should be fine. Its the front you want to have some grip. Like I said add some caster and a good set of tires and your set. Then all you need to work on is your mad skillzzz yo!

This is MoltoMario talking btw. Im just using Boosteds Comp and tooo lazy into my account

-Mario

Yea anything cheap on the rear should be fine. Its the front you want to have some grip. Like I said add some caster and a good set of tires and your set. Then all you need to work on is your mad skillzzz yo!

This is MoltoMario talking btw. Im just using Boosteds Comp and tooo lazy into my account

-Mario

*fixed*

I have an aftermarket 8"'s all the way around . But when i drift i put the stock rear 9" shp wheels on.. Another quick questio nabout the car. I switched to a lightweight flywheel Fidanza. Any prs or cons from you guys on this. It seems tghat my rpms come much quicker but obviously i lost a lot of inertia internally that helps keep this thing spooled. Like it cuz i hadn;'t drifted with stock flywheel before.