new exhaust

fijiblueman

i've got a buddy who owns an esxhaust shop. Next weekend we will be installing a new exhaust on the quest. my question is if i pull the stock exhaust off and slap a 3 inch exhaust from the mani back do i need to make any other adjustments under the hood? Thanx for any input :blush:

Paul

Edited by fijiblueman

what he said ^ but u might want to put a piece of flex on the down pipe as if you didnt, everything would be solid and overtime when you torque the motor you might break the exhaust mani or something else....in other words dont make it solid give it some flex

I'd recommend getting something like the 3" downpipe from MK1 since it's already got the flex in it then if you want to have your buddy build the rest of the exhaust all the way back go for it. But you WILL need a way for the exhaust to flex. Look even at our stock solid setup. The DP is attached to the rest of the exhaust with 2 springs that allow for torque flex.

Definitely should post in "Advance Mechanic". I know you can have some performance problems with such a large exhaust if you don't have a big enough turbo/boost to generate the flow.

Tech advise from a car parts source: "… Yes we feel a 3" system will make more power on an extremely modified car running big turbos and big boost… But on a street car it will cause poor off boost drive ability and lagged response. 2.5" is sufficient for all street systems up to the high 300 HP levels." As I said, you need big turbo/boost for a 3" exhaust but I'm not a "Technology", post on the other thread and get some real advise.

Edited by pc85

Thanks for the plug....:)

To clarify the above statement.....a 2.5" mandrel bent is sufficient for most of the cars out there. If you are going to use a crush-bend system, the 3" is a probably better idea due to the restrictions it creates. Just take your time on the DP section, and include a small flex to help take the stresses of the manifold/turbo like everyone else said.

JR

Edited by jolyrgr