Dual Disk Clutches by Clutch Masters

mistapickles

Talked to one of the higher ups at Clutch Masters about getting a dual friction plate clutch for my car and he was telling me something like $1500 for my clutch.... So...I said what if more people were interested in the clutches, what kind of prices would I be looking at then and he said depending on how many people were interested, that would determine price...so here it is, how many people would be interested in something like that?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/clutch.jpg

ALSO, I have no time or desire to organize this, I do not want any money sent to me nor am I going to get anything free out of this, I want to pay for my stuff just like everybody else and not have to deal with people feeling it's taken too long, it's not what they wanted or any other of the myriad of reasons vendors run from group purchase on forums. This is only to find out how many people want this and from then on Clutch Masters will handle the sales.

Edited by mistapickles

I think it is kind of a dead issue without some sort of price range. $1500 is no bargain. They would have to come down a whole lot to even consider a group of people to order. That is as much as many of us pay for the whole car.

Sorry, just saw your other post. It mentioned $500 for flywheel and clutch. That is obviously a much better circumstance. Hope this works out.

Edited by BIL

I don't really "need" a new clutch and flywheel as i have a Fidanza and ACT, but I am watching with interest to see what you come up with. My Fidanza is about 11lbs if i recall correctly. It spools up real nice but is a little tricky from a stop. I would think something around 18 - 20 lbs would be good.

Note: Multi-plate clutches "ARE" rebuildable!!! But they will make alot of chatter!

from what I understand, they don't chatter at all... from what I understand they hook up like a normal clutch with almost double the clamping force and without shock that ruins a transmission... Where did you get your info?

I'd like to see the flywheel as light as possible as it's a dedicated track car.

What sort of HP would the clutch be rated to?

the lighter the flywheel, the less amount of torque you get, which means no grunt coming out of an apex with the lighter flywheel. While that may work on some cars, our car need the weight of the flywheel to maintain idle, so a super light flywheel is not the way. Ask a Fidanza owner how much torque they lost.

All depends on how you run it. Mine is a lot of fun on the highway and on curvy roads. It spools fast. As I said it is tricky from a dead stop because it does lose some torque but it will catch up and pass pretty fast. I would go for something a bit heavier, but not over 22 lbs. Torque is king but it can be really tough on the rest of the car to keep dropping the clutch at 3000 rpms with a heavy flywheel, IMHO

Once you're rolling, the flywheel has no effect on engine torque. In fact a heavier flywheel uses up torque as it is accelerated.

The only time a heavy flywheel helps is when starting the car from a dead stop and with proper clutch modulation this really isn't much of a problem. That being said, I've been VERY happy with my 15 lb competition clutch setup.

Now, that being said, I'm interested in a twin disc. :)

• 4 weeks later...