Goes Like Hell

strang3majik

Were you making eggs on the floor?

haha...no...but a rat made his resting place there...not a mouse, a rat. And, the fact that water was always laying there...for 15 years...lol

Luckily...the floor plug wasn't sealed properly, and all the water would drain out after a few days...so...the floor beneath that is intact...haha.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...its been without an interior in it for about a year...so...lol But, with the new interior...the inside just smells like purple power now...haha.

Also...got a new voltage regulator for it since this one was getting that silicone stuff melting behind it. Pulled it off, and I've never seen one that bad...you could see the board in it...lol

So...put a new one of those in it and a distributor pickup and it wouldn't start...adjusted the distributor a little bit and it kicked right over running smoother than it ever has.

Took it out around the block...still couldn't go over 1/4 throttle...but, even with that I got some noticeable torque steer in 1st gear...and my clutch is slipping like a mother since the flywheel is so rusty (to be fixed soon).

But...it was running very good today, got it up to around 65 mph, so...one step further. Get this new carb on it and clean out the gas tank, and she should be like new, running wise.

From how much I've driven it, though...its kinda like driving a FWD go-cart...lol

And...I got a video...but, it sounds like a tractor idling...haha. Much like an open downpipe 2.6L if you want to know the truth. I'm happy with how deep it sounds, must be the compression.

I'll upload it anyway, tomorrow, though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well...got the carb on and it would run, but wouldn't rev at WOT...would only rev with a smooth progression of the throttle. Looked into how to adjust these things and started turning some screws...lol

Got the mixture set so the idle is the highest as per Holley's manual...then, checked out the accelerator pump, turns out it was dumping way too much fuel in way too early. The carb was setup for a V8 before it was rebuilt and the jets were changed, so, could have a lot to do with it...lol

The good news, now...it runs...great. Adjusted the accelerator pump and took her for a drive, and wow.

The clutch is slipping like a mother (flywheel is coated in rust from sitting for 15 years)...but it still just about jerked the wheel out of my hand at every gear change and any goosing of the throttle in first or second gear and it wheel hops like crazy. Tried to not do that though.

But...it was all good...till I pulled it in front of my house and shut it off. Right after that I got a whiff of that sweet smell. Popped the hood, and my entire engine bay was rusty brown and there was a hole about an inch around in the upper rad hose.

So...whether or not it overheated I don't know as I have two gauge clusters with screwed up temp gauges...but, it was still running great when I shut it off.

Ugh...now to clean that mess up. I'd like to get everything flushed as well, though...as the inside of the engine looked quite ugly when I had the head off...I just cleaned what I could.

that same explosion happened to my 88 B2200=( but the head must have warped or the gasket ate itself away...but my pickup just sits dead=~( i put in an aluminum radiator and hoses...and it has a ton of coolant in the oil...so i'm going to prolly do a miata powerplant swap=) i dig that hell out of this car=D

Turned out the hose was dryrot...out a new one on it and put an aftermarket gauge on it hooked up to the stock sensor, never got about 170 degrees after about 30 minutes worth of idling. So...apparently it was just the hose.

Though, I did pull it off of the car and it ripped right in two when i was pulling on it...it was pretty dry...lol

Also may I add....having 4 wheel disc brakes with the front brakes being from a van...all I have to say is, holy crap.

If you want the car to stop...it'll stop quick fast and in a hurry. Your body won't, however. Physics won't allow that. :P

But...mucho braking power for a 2000lb car. And the best part is...everything bolted right on :D

she looks awesome=D the paint doesn't even bother me, it makes her look like more of a trooper=) you should dyno her when you're done=~) and you should do a photo shoot with her and your SQ=~) that'd look nice=P keep up the awesome work=)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You still have this project right? I sure hope so

Yes I do...put on hold again temporarily. Really all it needs to drive is a clutch put in it...but...to be honest, I'm scared to do it...lol

Also...I've sourced up and M90 that will probably end up on it. Probably blow it up, but, it'll be cool :D

Oh...and I don't have a Starquest anymore :(

• 1 month later...

Haha...well...

I need to figure out what flywheel it has so I can order a clutch for it (the n/a GLHs are odd...has some turbo parts and some normal n/a parts), so, once I order that...

the engine trans assembly will be dropped out, new clutch put in...new freeze plugs installed, block painted, supercharger fitted, head gasket/shim installed, and whatever else seems like a good idea while its out.

Than she'll be ready for paint...or just terrorizing the streets in its current visual state :)

Here in PA, now...I've already met some car guys that are wanting to help just so they can see this thing on the road...so...shouldn't be too long. Once this heat wave passes, anyhow.

Just compression tested the beast to see how safe it was for a supercharger.

200 psi in every cylinder on the dot. Not bad for a motor that sat for 15 years...lol

But...if my math is correct, that equates to about 10.6:1 compression in a 2.2L...so...with a head shim, should be plenty fine for a supercharger :D

Slowly getting it primered, eh? :)

Plans for the front end? How bout droppin' that sucker?

Yep...one piece at a time...lol

I'm putting everything stock back on the front end, but, might tuck the front bumper some. As far as dropping it...I can't go too far...lol But, I'd say about an inch would make it look pretty good. Just going to cut the springs.

For the rear...I'm sticking with no bumper and am going to put a shelby charger spoiler on it. I've seen it done and it really makes the back look better.

But...for now...engine work :)

Oh...and I had a temp tag on it for about a month while in FL. I've put over 200 miles on this thing since I've gotten it running...lol Went through the Wendy's drive thru with it looking as it does in that picture...and got pulled over for having a headlight out :rolleyes: lol

Edited by strang3majik

Yep...one piece at a time...lol

I'm putting everything stock back on the front end, but, might tuck the front bumper some. As far as dropping it...I can't go too far...lol But, I'd say about an inch would make it look pretty good. Just going to cut the springs.

For the rear...I'm sticking with no bumper and am going to put a shelby charger spoiler on it. I've seen it done and it really makes the back look better.

But...for now...engine work :)

Oh...and I had a temp tag on it for about a month while in FL. I've put over 200 miles on this thing since I've gotten it running...lol Went through the Wendy's drive thru with it looking as it does in that picture...and got pulled over for having a headlight out :rolleyes: lol

"Excuse me sir, but are you aware you have a headlight out?" :lol: