87 being ressurected

rpm1

I have always wanted a starion and finally found one for around 1500 that looked pretty good in pics and the owner said it just needed a tuneup. I bought it site unseen and with little knowledge of all the quirks. Needless to say there is lots of hidden rust and it runs like crap. I bought an 88 with absolutely no rust but the front end was cut off(dont need it). Everything is stock except the missing a/c. After realizing what a job this was goin to be i tried to sell it with no luck. So I dove in head first. I pulled the leaky throttle body, turbo and head. Luckily the head had been replaced and has no cracks. It is getting resurfaced with a valve job. The exhaust was cracked so I have another on order. I decided to try a holley projection kit for fuel and to get rid of the maf. the intake is being fabricated at the moment and I have rebult the turbo. I found lose bolts and lots of vacume leaks. block looks good and Im not sure if im going to keep it so the plan is to get it running and dive into the body. So far im in well over $4000 and I can only imagine where I will be when its done. I feel sorry for anyone who gets one who is not VERY mechanically inclined.

• 1 month later...
I'm in Orlando. I have some pics I will work on getting up here. Here is an update on the starion. Head is done and bolted on with some ARP studs (very nice). Exhaust manifold is on and turbo bolted on with all new hardware. Intake has been fabricated and bolted on as well as the distributor that I rebuilt. I bolted on the pro jection adaptor plate last night and test fitted the carb hat only to realize it will nees some fabrication and also the hood will not clear, I will address the hood later. In the mean time, I have ordered the rebuild kit from holley for the pro jection (just for good measure)and I'm waiting for the fpr to come in. Heres where I stand. I need to wire up the pro jection, fabricate a down pipe, hook up the return lines to the turbo, Get a wiring diagram for the ignition, find out where the hell the oil is leaking from,(the motor hasnt been ran in months),and fabricate the carb hat along with the intercooler piping. I have also traded my way up to some staggard 18's with some meat on them so at least it looks fast sitting in the garage!