cheap MBC

cooljs78

First of all i want to say thanks to all for help on other post. OK i have a 87 TSI all stock except new injectors and fuel pump. I want to know how high can i set the boost before i hit fuel cutoff. 2nd I want to know what you all think is a good boost controller that is cheap on eBay or some place.

Don't do it, cheap boost controllers = blown head gasket or worse. Don't confuse compressor pressure with lots more power either. Air flow equals more power, you're already running turbine inlet pressures 2X or more greater than the compressor side pressure (as measured on a bigger turbine than stock, 05H wheel) so you're trying to flow more air by turning up the compressor pressure which again doubles or triples the turbine inlet pressure which does not equate to more flow. Only more heat, then bang goes the gasket if you're lucky or block if you're not as seen in many threads on this site. You also have stock timing advance/retard and the retard is limited to 7 degrees, another reason Mitsu limited boost pressure where they did.

SAVE your money by opening up the turbine or exhaust side with a larger turbine wheel, housing, exhaust system. Now you can turn up the boost a bit and make more power because you're flowing more air and not building heat. Then you can switch to aftermarket fuel and timing and really up the power output, all without having to throw a bunch of money on rebuilding the motor. $2K is a cheap motor rebuild, you can buy some nice exhaust side parts for that and still have money left over.

Scott