boost POWER SURGE

60kmileTSI

im having a problem with my 88 quest automatic. i just had my alternator replaced but the alternator used was one that was off of an old mightymax truck (65 amp) ever since i had the orig replaced the trans keeps feeling like its slipping and my boost starts building up when im just cruising (under 35) and it takes (forever to make it to 35 ) and when i try to accelerate any faster she starts to slip after she slips right after she gets to second gear at around 2500-3000 RPM . this is confusing! it is either a surge for more power for the boost or my trans is messed up im not sure.ant infowould be GREAT

That alternator doesn't put out enough AMPs for your car. Driving at night and the cooling fan comes on and you will may be driving around using the battery so be careful.

Have you changed the tranny fluid? Is the cooler mashed? Its behind the air dam on the passenger side. I've heard of more dead 88/89 automatics than flatty autos. Your tranny has a higher stall than the non intercooled auto transmissions. If the cooler is mashed your fluid is overheating and that kills an auto tranny quicker than anything. You should change the fluid and if that is mashed get a larger one it just attaches with hoses.

While the pan is off, check the band adjustment. Procedure is in the service manual. Search in the auto tranny forum too that's why its there.