Comprehensive Auto Tranny Rebuild Thread

ok, ive procrastinated too long on that damned transmission. im wondering if we can put together a comprehensive steaming pile of information in one place for all things needed to rebuild this tranny and where the best place to get them is.

master rebuild kit- ??

friction clutches- alto usa/red eagle

kevlar bands- mike meyerhoff

sensors-??

what else?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

lessons learned from overhauling the L4N71B:

1.torque converter is a pain to attach to engine, bushing is a very tight fit, try to pull it in from two opposite converter bolts to draw it to the engine.

2.bellhousing bolts are: 2 long at bottom, 2 short at top, mismatched ones go in starter with longer one going in top of starter.

3.If elbow to vacuum modulator is dry rotted/cracked, autozone and advance have "Chrysler vacuum elbow" in "help!" parts section that works great except you have to trim to fit.

4.Dacco's overhaul kit didn't come with the speedo O-ring, was missing a Low/Reverse clutch, had an extra forward clutch friction, and a buttload of extra o-rings.

5.O/D drum sprag spins in same direction as low/reverse sprag to the right and not the left.

6.OD clutch pack retainer goes under sprag and extremely thin steel holds sprag in place. (as per updated tech manual)

Took me a bit getting the questions worked out, but my transmission smooths so smooth and instant you almost can't feel it!

• 7 months later...
Well what worked best for me was to find a place that was willing to let me get the right parts and just do the labor. I went with the kevlar bands from Mike and the Red Eagle friction clutches. The total cost for the rebuild was just under $1500 including a new torque converter. To know it was done right the first time was well worth it. It was a lot of work installing it on 4 jack stands. I had a lot of help from another local member and I'm glad I had the help. Thanks a ton Dwayne.