Injectors Dumping TOO mucnh fuel, car wont start

Killtodie

Alright, I had a friend stop by to help me reinsert the dizzy and do proper engine timing.

Got that part done, lined it up with the valve cover removed, all good.

Car wouldn't start. The problem we found out to be was that it was flooding with fuel. We disconnected the injector and tried to start it, after a few cranks the car started and actually ran for a few short seconds without the injectors plugged in.

As soon as we plugged them back in, car will on not start, it tried to and kinda kicks in but dies right away. Soon as we disconnect the injectors, start up again.

The conclusion seems to be that the car is dumping too much fuel and it wont start. Tried it without the MAS hooked up, opened up the BOV, nadda.

It was below freezing when we did this, but we saw that the injectors were firing and spraying a lot of fuel.

This car ran perfectly fine 2 months ago, the only thing that changed was me removing the dizzy to replace its worn o-ring and replacing a leaky fuel regulator with a known working model. I was unable to start the car after changing it and only now were we able to hook it back up.

What else should I look into?

Well I cant drive it if I cant start it???? did you mean dry them?

My next step was to inspec the spark plugs but the engine does run, for short period of time. will wait for warmer weather. Maybe this wed

Edited by Killtodie

Also try disconnecting the battery neg pole for about 5 minutes. The EFI ECU may have gotten "confused". Disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery after 5 minutes clears the data that's "confusing" the ECU and any error codes - sort of like "rebooting" it.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

What I meant was they may be fouled but barely firing. You did say the distributor ended up being half turn off right? Well all that time you were cranking and cranking and trying different things fuel was still sprayed in and it didn't ignite so those plugs have to be wet. You solved the dist. problem and now it starts right but seems to have too much fuel well if the plugs aren't burning the fuel from still being fouled out it will appear there is too much fuel. If you can't drive it then you need to get the plugs out of there and media blast or replace them. You might clean them up with a wire brush. If there is still too much fuel and you don't have the clips backwards and there aren't leaks etc then maybe the injectors need cleaned. You might try unplugging both injectors and using starter fluid but you still have to connect the intercooler plumbing but at least it should run for a few seconds but that isn't going to clear up fouled plugs. Simply drying them doesn't always work it depends on if there is too much carbon on them and it insulates the ends from being able to make a ground path and that's how the spark jumps is to ground otherwise no spark and no ignition of the fuel, same thing happens if the plugs just get too wet under boost the plugs will misfire.

I do have another set of plugs at home I can replace them with, I will remove these plugs and see how bad they are.

The injector are new so they shouldnt leak. I did have 2 seals around the throttlebody leak that I replaced before starting. I also noticed that the gaskets that the new injectors came with are a bit too small for the place they sit in, they fit snug around the injectors but are lose inside the base, but I have just over 1k miles on those injectors and I doubt that might be causing a problem, they are on tight and I dont detect any other fuel leak.

Could the cold weather be causing issues?

Right now it's nowing, I wont be back to the car till tomorrow, if the weather is mild I will take another look at it.