rod bearing replacement interval

travs87tsi

I am about to finish my MPI and had a thought. I did not rebuild the bottom end of the engine. I was thinking it might be a good idea to go ahead and replace the rod bearings. Is there a suggested amount of miles when you should go ahead and replace them? would there be a downside to replaceing them like every 60,000 miles? Edited by travs87tsi

There's not really a interval for changing rod bearings. Most just change them when there is a reason to change them. Kinda like piston rings, you don't change them, unless you have to.

No down side to changing them, unless you get the wrong size. It may help raise your oil pressure if you do change them.

I am about to finish my MPI and had a thought. I did not rebuild the bottom end of the engine. I was thinking it might be a good idea to go ahead and replace the rod bearings. Is there a suggested amount of miles when you should go ahead and replace them? would there be a downside to replaceing them like every 60,000 miles?

It depends on what type of material the bearings are made of. Since no one offers any top fuel, or high performance bearings, for our engines, that I know of. I would say at least 100,000 miles on passenger car bearings depending on maint., how hard your right foot is, etc,... some could easy go 200,000 miles.