This stuff is just getting ridiculous

Fanta

http://www.businessinsider.com/occidental-sexual-assault-2014-9

They are literally taking the party line that the girl is not responsible for her actions when she is drunk, but the guy is responsible for both of their actions when he is drunk.

"An outside lawyer hired by Occidental to adjudicate the sexual-assault hearing found that John was impaired beyond the point where he could have understood Jane's condition but should nonetheless be held as responsible as if he had been sober."

Are you freaking kidding me?! This kind of stuff makes my blood boil, and what's worse is that this is becoming more and more common-place ( where girls either A- cry wolf or B- do this because of feeling guilty, taking away from real victims of assault on campus as well, while ruining the lives of people who didn't have any malicious intent. )

• Like 1

That sux for John. unless he gets that removed from his record he'll always be listed as a sexual offender...

Occidental College is getting a bum rap and this subject is getting "politically corrected" so far around, it's just plain wrong. Yes, date rape does occur, it is a real crime an unfortunate situation. If two people behave irresponsibly, what ever circumstances result from their behavior, both should be held responsible.

Occidental is getting slammed hard on this subject because they tried to keep this matter private within their own inner sanctum. They mishandled some cases in the sense that they should have been more open about the situation. They instead let things fester like a disease, it just got worse.

College kids from any school like to party, get drunk and behave like irresponsible dummies. The school was trying to preserve their image as the go to school for spoiled rich kids. So it down played those situations ton preserve their image and that is where they screwed up.

The bitter irony here is that you could flip the entire scenario 180 degrees and it would be a complete non-event...showing exactly the bias and stereotype, and the subsequent ir-rationale that such a hot-point generates.

How are two people at the same school, in the same dorm, in the same room, displaying the same behavior, engaging in the same thing...held to two different standards? One eighteen year old is held accountable for their actions and the other isn't? Were there two different student manuals given out at orientation? I would think not...and as such I think Jane is as much in violation of the policies as John is (at least in this situation, with the information that's been provided).

Think about this...

Swap Jane and John throughout the entire article/scenario. You think they'd expel Jane?

Edited by NikoFab

The bitter irony here is that you could flip the entire scenario 180 degrees and it would be a complete non-event...showing exactly the bias and stereotype, and the subsequent ir-rationale that such a hot-point generates.

How are two people at the same school, in the same dorm, in the same room, displaying the same behavior, engaging in the same thing...held to two different standards? One eighteen year old is held accountable for their actions and the other isn't? Were there two different student manuals given out at orientation? I would think not...and as such I think Jane is as much in violation of the policies as John is (at least in this situation, with the information that's been provided).

Think about this...

Swap Jane and John throughout the entire article/scenario. You think they'd expel Jane?

I think this youtube PSA put it best

Private college. They can do what they want. I think the policy was poorly enforced though.

There's a bit in there about how they have the clause about men in there to give them the ability to punish people who would use "But I was drunk!" as an excuse to commit rape. But I think they extended it a bit to far in this case.

Imagine how the women feel when they get told to shut up or pushed out, or s__t shamed. Come cry about this when the assaults get under control.

40% of college and universities reported NO sexual assaults in the last 5 years. Yeah sure. ;)

Imagine how the women feel when they get told to shut up or pushed out, or s__t shamed. Come cry about this when the assaults get under control.

40% of college and universities reported NO sexual assaults in the last 5 years. Yeah sure. ;)

This is true too... I actually expected to be posting something along those lines. This is one of those very very few occasions where the concept is being taken too far I think. The good thing is that it's pretty clear the college had their mind in the right place, they just got a bit too literal minded with a clause that was meant as a backstop.