TDI Turbo Direct Injection

ghinckley68

I have considered that exact possibility of retro-fitting the jet valve holes for use with a DI system. There is really no reason it is impossible, however there are lots of reasons for it to be EXTREMELY difficult.

1. The proximity of the jet valve openings to the valvetrain makes finding clearance for injectors abit of work.

2. You will need an almost completely custom valve cover.

3. DI systems run at extremely high fuel pressures, in the 1000's of psi for some systems...... obviously the pump and lines will need reworked for that.

4. Although not needed, typically the tops of the pistons have a sort of "ramp" formed into them to swirl the fuel when injected into the chamber. I imagine the system will work without this but the efficiency loss would be noticeable.

5. If it could be designed to fit injectors around the valvetrain, there is still the task of creating a proper seal to prevent blowout from the combustion pressures and heat.

I'd still love to give it a try, but for the time I'm satisfied with my sequential injection and ignition setup. ;)

Edited by spoon32

I have considered that exact possibility of retro-fitting the jet valve holes for use with a DI system. There is really no reason it is impossible, however there are lots of reasons for it to be EXTREMELY difficult.

1. The proximity of the jet valve openings to the valvetrain makes finding clearance for injectors abit of work.

2. You will need an almost completely custom valve cover.

3. DI systems run at extremely high fuel pressures, in the 1000's of psi for some systems...... obviously the pump and lines will need reworked for that.

4. Although not needed, typically the tops of the pistons have a sort of "ramp" formed into them to swirl the fuel when injected into the chamber. I imagine the system will work without this but the efficiency loss would be noticeable.

5. If it could be designed to fit injectors around the valvetrain, there is still the task of creating a proper seal to prevent blowout from the combustion pressures and heat.

I'd still love to give it a try, but for the time I'm satisfied with my sequential injection and ignition setup. ;)

Actually mopar guys have been grinding swirl groves in the roof of the wedge heads for over a decade to get swirl. Same could be done on ours only need to create a disturbance to get the air to start swirling