Auto to manual

donplayahat

I might do I swap but first I need to know what I need exactly and how much for everything. I full swap that is. I appreciate the help.

Also what do ya recomend for it.

Edited by donplayahat

Also what do ya recomend for it.

A complete parts car. Seriously.

The amount of small things that are needed from begining to end can best be had with a complte donor car. Peddles (all 3) hanger welded in under the dash to hang the clutch, 5 speed tranny, (making sure to pop out the brass plug in the back of the automatic crank.) Hyd setup (drilling the hole thru the firewall behind the brake booster is a bear) chasing wires so your reverse light s work, 5 speed drive shaft. custom brackets to mount the 5 speed itself, hacking the hole thru the tunnel larger, pounding the tunnel in so your gas peddle dosnt rub.

Personaly I wont do another. thats why I just did a rebiuld on my auto. Was ALOT easier than I had anticipated and far cheaper than doing another 5speed swap even tho I had all the stuff to do it.

How much was it for ur rebuilt in the auto tranny

I did it myself and had about $200 into it. I was lucky tho and my OD drum wasnt chewed up at all so I was able to reuse it.

I got a basic gasket rebuild kit and filter for about $50ish (transmissionpartusa.com item 82026 & 82922)

New Kevlar Bands from Mike Meyerhoff on here for $25ish (plus core of your old ones)

and new HP cluthes were about $110 (Drivetrain.com ALTO part # 042740, 12 or 13 needed)

full fluid change was about $30

And take your time, dont tear into it untill you have all your parts. and lay it out and take pictures. Its not difficult but everything only goes back together one way. Now would be a good time to send off your valve body to BaltTSI on here for a rework too ;)

Edited by AndyW

• 4 weeks later...

If you do it...get a parts car if you can find one, like andy said. It'll save you so much time and energy. Then it just depends on what you wanna do with those parts....ie. lightening your flywheel, what spec clutch you go with, replacing u-joints in the driveshaft, how you decide to mount the tranny, and pedals, stock shifter or short throw....the list can get long. I just did the basic swap with a lightened 240mm flywheel and F1 stage 1 clutch, new slave and master cyls. and braided line for the slave cyl. read thru this for all the how to's.....

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57557

it helped me a ton. Good luck with it.

BC_99

• 2 years later...