overheating problem.

87TSIconquest

Ok, i bought an 87 conquest this past weekend and im in the process of getting it to daily driver condition. But, im having an issue with the car over heating. I replaced the thermostat and its all topped off with coolant, but the car still over heats. The car also sat for 10 years but the previous owner said the car ran great until that thermostat stuck shut. So now im fresh out of ideas on what could be causing the car to over heat. Thanks.

Fans inop. Thermosensors bad. Radiator needs rodded. Head gasket blown. Air bubbles. Anny or all of this.

I now the head gasket is fine, the oil isnt foamy or milky, and the rad is new. So ill look into the fans and the sensors.

thanks

I now the head gasket is fine, the oil isnt foamy or milky, and the rad is new. So ill look into the fans and the sensors.

thanks

make sure that the fans are not only operating, but have enough power to pull air in. I had a main fan that came on and looked like it functioned properly, but when I compared it to my friend's fan in his starion there was no comparison. When I replaced the fan, my cooling issue was over. My replacement fan pulls hard enough to slightly turn the pusher fan on the front of the radiator, that might be something to look for to judge whether it's really doing its job.

Edited by mistapickles

make sure that the fans are not only operating, but have enough power to pull air in. I had a main fan that came on and looked like it functioned properly, but when I compared it to my friend's fan in his starion there was no comparison. When I replaced the fan, my cooling issue was over. My replacement fan pulls hard enough to slightly turn the pusher fan on the front of the radiator, that might be something to look for to judge whether it's really doing its job.

Thanks. I will definately be looking into this more today.

I would say, replace the fans with aftermarkets from Autozone, advance etc... The old ones are bound to fail anyway

Yeah im going to end up doing that. I havent been able to drive it enough to see if it over heats while the car is moving. Because when it over heats its sitting at an idol. Thanks guys for all the input.