Power steering pump replacement

averse

Hate it! Can't get the high pressure hose off (FSM says I need a special tool, I'm not having luck with any of the tools I have, even bought some stubby metric open end wrenches to no avail).

Can't get to half the screws to get the pump off either, even after tearing off several vacuumhoses to make room.

All this and I suspect my problem is the gearbox anyway, which I'm dreading even more!

<End of rant>

Find a "crowfoot" wrench kit. It looks line the business end of a regular open-end wrench but instead of a handle or shaft, it'll have a 3/8 inch square opening for your favorite long socket wrench extension. Sears sells metric and standard assortments; they come in handy all the time. That'll give you the leverage needed for the high pressure line. Ideally you'd use a "flare nut" wrench but there just isn't room.

Sears Craftsman crowfoot metric set

Sears Craftsman metric flare nut crowfoot set

As for removing the pump itself:

Look at the power steering pump pulley... you'll see two openings. Rotate the engine crankshaft pulley bolt (clockwise only as you face the engine) until the power steering pump pulley openings are at 3 and 9 o'clock - and thus line up with bolts behind them. Now use a socket wrench with a 3 inch extension to loosen them. There is one other bolt towards the backside of the pump if I remember correctly to loosen, then the pump will be loose and you can push it towards the engine block to undo the V-belt.

And of course re-fill the power steering system with auto tranny fluid - NOT POWER STEERING FLUID! ATF is what came in the car from the factory, is called for in your owners manual, and in the factory service manuals. Just a reminder - and warning to the newbies that haven't seen this info tidbit yet.

mike c.

Harbor Freight has crowfoot wrenches that are very affordable (about $12) for this one time project.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=crow&Submit=Go

You will need them to get the lines off of the steering box. It is not possible without these wrenches. It is a job that requires patience and time. Just go one bolt and twist at a time. If you are in a hurry, don't even try because you will get frustrated.

Obie

Harbor Freight has crowfoot wrenches that are very affordable (about $12) for this one time project.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=crow&Submit=Go

You will need them to get the lines off of the steering box. It is not possible without these wrenches. It is a job that requires patience and time. Just go one bolt and twist at a time. If you are in a hurry, don't even try because you will get frustrated.

Obie

Thanks Mike and Obie! I got some at HB for 8 bucks (on sale, what timing!) and the pressure line came right off with the crowfoot and extension...so easy! Now to tackle the bolts through the pulley (I nearly stripped one already I think tryign to use a regular open end crescent).

EDIT: any tips on turning the pulley? Am I just too wimpy to turn it or do I need to make a cantilever out of something? EDIT EDIT: got it!

You guys are awesome!

Edited by averse