Head Replacement

ralliart_evolution

Hey there. I bought an 89 a couple of months ago and was told that the car smoked and smelt like oil and coolant after a couple seconds of running. I figured it was the head gasket or something so I opened it up and it was indeed something. The head was cracked. I guess my question is if the head from a non-turbo 4G54 would work on a turbo motor, or would I have to source a turbo head. Also, should having the head rebuilt be an option? Mind you I'm a resident of Canada where things aren't readily available for my Starquest. Thank you for your time and consideration, and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Im not incredibly familiar with the subject, but I do believe non turbo heads work. And in particular, it will be recommended that you find a non jet valve head. Often times I have heard of "Caravan" heads, referring to a head that came off a Dodge Caravan (with G54 motor).

I can only imagine it would be a good idea to have the head rebuilt. Especially if you want to improve the performance now would be a good time to do some porting/polishing/upgrading.

the head is the same, the valves are different i believe. if you do use a head from an n/a car, you will need to get all new valves, springs, retainers, guids, etc. etc. the exhaust valves are the ones that you need to make sure are for a turbo application. The exhaust valves for n/a cars will not be able to withstand the extra heat from the turbo.

to find parts, you can go here: engine machine service dot com

that is Dad's (from this site)shop. He is very insightful and will get you almost anything you need to build that head, or even send you a new complete one if you want to go that rout.

Daniel

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-89-Mitsubishi-Montero-Pickup-G54B-2-6L-Bare-Cyl-Head_W0QQitemZ320435699420QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9b74bedc

Just use your valve train meaning the rocker arms and shafts. Use your old valves or get new one, get a valve seals and schneider heavy duty springs. Don't waste money on a reman'd head, they cracked once and what didn't crack by the time they got it could go any time its not like they are x-rayed for internal cracks.

Well, thank you for the tips and advice. I guess I'll now try to figure out what the cheapest solution is since I only need the motor to run for the meanwhile, as I start setting up the suspension and testing some chassis and suspension modifications I've been fabricating. Wish me luck.