What oil should I use for my the LSD on my '88?

Del

Like the topic says I'm trying to replace the gear oil in my LSD and the local mitsu dealership claims they no longer carry or can get the MOPAR oil recommended in the service manual. Can I use any 75w-90 gear oil and what additives if any should I add? I'm not sure what hypoid gear oil is and if this means I need to seek out some special oil or if all gear oil is hypoid. Thanks for your help guys.

-Andrew

75w90 is fine as long as it has a friction addictive.

I used Royal Purple's Gear oil 75w90 for both tranny and LSD. It's designed to work with both. HUGE improvement with the Purple brand.

Also, remove the fill screw first before draining, just in case the fill screw gets stripped and you already drained the oil.

Edited by Killtodie

75w90 is fine as long as it has a friction addictive.

I used Royal Purple's Gear oil 75w90 for both tranny and LSD. It's designed to work with both. HUGE improvement with the Purple brand.

Also, remove the fill screw first before draining, just in case the fill screw gets stripped and you already drained the oil.

You can fill the diff by removing an axle. Which is what I did last night, since I had to change an axle out.

1.37 US Quarts, not including the LSD additive.

-Robert