4G54 carburated

So this is a basic battle of the builds, but neither is built yet. I have been looking into carburated-turbocharging my 4G54, mostly looking into examples of likewise tuned Datsuns. But everyone is going with MPI. I mean it does make sense to follow the crowd, since people steer clear of things that don't work, but who knows what kind of potential lies beyond the unknown carburator setup? Carburated turbo would be nice and different, but I can't figure out how I'm going to get the air/fuel to work without going rich in vacuum or lean in boost. Any opinion or suggestion on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated. Mind you, money isn't too big of a factor since this is a really long term project, but I need to figure out how to make it work....

So this is a basic battle of the builds, but neither is built yet. I have been looking into carburated-turbocharging my 4G54, mostly looking into examples of likewise tuned Datsuns. But everyone is going with MPI. I mean it does make sense to follow the crowd, since people steer clear of things that don't work, but who knows what kind of potential lies beyond the unknown carburator setup? Carburated turbo would be nice and different, but I can't figure out how I'm going to get the air/fuel to work without going rich in vacuum or lean in boost. Any opinion or suggestion on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated. Mind you, money isn't too big of a factor since this is a really long term project, but I need to figure out how to make it work....

To be honest both have been done.

Similar power can be had at the strip, as F.I.'s advantage over Carb. technology diminishes at WOT.

Where you will see a difference is in daily drive-ability, fuel economy etc.

The rich/lean issue with carb's is easily remedied by tuning with the jets and fuel pressure, remember a rising rate regulator can still be employed.

Personally I would only go Carb if I was building a NA engine.

I have an 86' Flatty in Michigan that's going under the knife in the spring.

I have a Carb manifold that I'm going to mount an Ogura SC to, and a Montero header, should be fun.

Good luck on your decision, ask lot's of questions.

To be honest both have been done.

Similar power can be had at the strip, as F.I.'s advantage over Carb. technology diminishes at WOT.

Where you will see a difference is in daily drive-ability, fuel economy etc.

The rich/lean issue with carb's is easily remedied by tuning with the jets and fuel pressure, remember a rising rate regulator can still be employed.

Personally I would only go Carb if I was building a NA engine.

I have an 86' Flatty in Michigan that's going under the knife in the spring.

I have a Carb manifold that I'm going to mount an Ogura SC to, and a Montero header, should be fun.

Good luck on your decision, ask lot's of questions.

Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Ya there were turbo'd carburetors I know I saw a few at least ten years ago using a modded intake. There already was a carbureted turbo it was in the turbo Sigma in the 70s. Most have converted and I didn't find an engine picture but I do have service manuals that show pics.

http://www.sigmaturbo.com/sigmaturbo_001.htm