340 motor swap in nj

mitsugreg

i was at hooters bike night in wayne last night saw a gorgous blue tsi with a 340 in it anyone know whose car this is would like to talk to them to find out about doing a project like that what its gonna cost and what would need to be done looking to do something like that would be a fun project

Maybe one of these. I thought i had a link but i can't find it.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...mp;#entry918598

lol...the one to the left had the 340 in it.

My dream is a turbo'd 360. No reason for a 340 less you have one laying around. There too exspensive, and, really, why wouldn't you want more displacement? All a 360 is, is an even further stroked 340.

But, did it look about like this? :)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC00410.jpg

Way to much work to go with a mopar. But it does look great.

A Ford 302 just slides in like it was ment to be there.

:blink:

Same amount of work either way. And a small block Mopar is no bigger than a small block Ford...or Chevy...relativley.

Edited by strang3majik

My dream is a turbo'd 360. No reason for a 340 less you have one laying around. There too exspensive, and, really, why wouldn't you want more displacement? All a 360 is, is an even further stroked 340.

I think thats why you want the 340 instead, it has a better bore to stroke ratio. It was more of a racing engine, with higher flowing heads, better cam, higher rev limit, etc. Dont get me wrong, I love the 360, but I can definitely understand why someone would rather go with a 340.

I also like the idea of going with a Chrysler engine, since it would match the word "Chrysler" a lot of us have on our titles.

I think thats why you want the 340 instead, it has a better bore to stroke ratio. It was more of a racing engine, with higher flowing heads, better cam, higher rev limit, etc. Dont get me wrong, I love the 360, but I can definitely understand why someone would rather go with a 340.

I also like the idea of going with a Chrysler engine, since it would match the word "Chrysler" a lot of us have on our titles.

Uh oh....and so the debate starts :P

In stock trim, 340s were made to be performance motors. Because, 360s were built during the smog years...Chrysler had to make more power, but, have low compression for fuel economy, so, they stroked the 340, making a 360.

As far as heads, they interchange between motors, and, the best flowing Chrysler built, small block head, is that of the newer Magnum 360s...however, they're geometry is a little different from the older motors. However, Chrysler did make a head, right before going to the Magnum motor, that was the same head, only older geometry, but, they are hard to find....however, I's has a set :hmm3grin2orange: Swirl-port FTW!

As far as cams...also interchangeable. For the rev limit...a 360 can be made to rev almost as much as a 340. Also, a 360 has more low end grunt, which (just like the g54b), therefore, doesn't require revving as high.

Also, 360s...way cheaper.

And, the one thing that gets me, is, all these die-hard 340 guys, stroke their 340s out anyway. The thing I don't understand, is, why go pay all that money for a 340, only to remove the very part that makes it different from every other small block Chrysler?

You could start with a 360, and, simply further stroke the 360...no difference from the 340...basically, same block.

The main difference between a 340 and a 360, is that a 360 is externally balanced...but, if you stroke a 340 to a 416ci or whatever astronomical amount they've stroked them too....that 340 will have to be externally balanced as well.

Also...my thought is....Mopar performance builds crate 360s...not 340s. Now why on earth would that be :)

This same debate has been going on between the die-hard 383 guys, vs that of the 400s. A 400 is the same exact engine, only stroked out, to make up for the power lost from low compression.

Saying you'd rather have a 340, or a 383, is like saying you'd rather have a 413 instead of a 440, or a 273 instead of a 318 (also same as the 340/360)...or a 2.0L (or whatever the destroked 2.6 was) instead of a 2.6L (G54B)

Lol...not trying to prove you wrong or anything.......but, really, there's no reason anymore, that a 340 is "better" anymore. That is, unless you want to pull one out of a car, and just drop it in without rebuilding it at all...or, you happen to have a 340 laying around.

Also...thats my reasoning for wanting to go Mopar...I don't want a fool child :D It may not really be a Chrysler, but, my title says it is, so, lets keep it Chryco, or Mitsu...I'm not one to stray far from that.

There have been some nicely done 5.0L and LS1 swaps though...so, not putting you guys down.

But, thanks for agreeing to go Mopar, nonetheless. :P

well done.but wouldnt the rod angle be better on the 340?

Yes, but, not enough to worry about. Its when you start stroking them out beyond that, that rod angle becomes a factor. Most just throw some beefier rods in them...never heard of any issue because of it...

and, hell....I just read....the largest they've made a small block Chrysler, as of now, is a 440ci stroker motor. Now, that requires shaving the block innerds a bit to accomodate...but, its been done without issue.

As i said...many stroke the 340s out anyways...

mopar makes a 340 6 pack crate motor.they dynoed it in mopar muscle magazine and it did 397h.p.and one mopar magazine did a article years ago doing a 340 swap into a conquest it was called project conqistidaor (think i spelled that wrong)they did a tubular k-memeber had hood made and new oil pan made for it.if i remember right the car was a blue tsi.going to a 340-360 is the only why to get rid of all the typical g54b issues.

the car I posted the picture of is the one from the magazine :P

Indy Cylinder Head makes a 472ci stroker small block.think from what i remember reading it,s 600-630h.p. and close to 600 ft.lbs of torque and is pump gas also.put that in there.

Oh my dear lord...thats big fun in a little package :P

^^^omg omg omg...lol

I've been searching for those links for a long time....thank you very much kind sir.

EDIT: and, that car in that article is the one in the picture I posted. Same exact car.

Edited by strang3majik

• 3 weeks later...