second hose that burst!! and power steering troubles

boneTSI

so about a week ago i broke my thermostat housing,i have a new one on the way here,but in the mean time me and my dad put a steel putty around the housing to prevent any more leaks.it worked fine,the night my thermostat housing broke however my car over heated very bad and my bottom radiator hose burst and fluids went EVERYWHERE!!! i put more putty on and the car ran fine for a day or two,its now starting to get hot rather quickly again,and now another hose popped behind my throttle body.Is this just because my housing is broke and i dont have the new one to put on yet and the hoses are getting hot and popping or should i just replace alot of hoses now while i can?

next question is about power steering,ive been through two pumps...i never used power steering fluid i used trnasmission fluid,however i didnt know i shouldve used dextron,and i used ATF.is the atf fluid ruining the pumps or are they always this crappy?once my new one ships in ill be using power steering fluid instead of transmission fluid,is there a certain kind i should use?thanks

-bonetsi-

As for the temp issues, that "fix" you've done has probably clogged/damaged your thermostat.

I would definately recommend doing a combustion gas test on your cooling system. It is not unusual for a blown head gasket/cracked head to overpressurize the cooling system. If your radiator cap can't relieve the pressure quick enough, the pressure will find the next easiest way to get out. Also note that it is possible to have a blown head gasket without white smoke pouring out of your exhaust.

Please keep in mind that little $5 fixes that people do to "just get by", either until the money comes in, or the parts comes in, usually ends up costing the person hundreds of dollars in the very near future. Point is, you were running with a compromised cooling system... the result of which is a real possibility of damaging the head. Just something to think about in the future. Same goes for those fixes in a can... just about anything that claims to stop leaks usually ends up doing more damage than good. In the future, park it, take the bus, bum rides off of friends, walk, ride a bike. The inconvience over a few days now will save you a LOT more troubles and money in the future.

Do not use power steering fluid in your system unless you're wanting to replace that sucker once again. Are you using brand new pumps or used pumps? How exactly are they failing? When you install the pumps, are you bleeding the system? Also, how much tension are you putting on the belt. Putting a large amount of tension on the belt is not necessary, and may indend cause premature failure. Same rings true for your other belts as well. There are specs in the service manual on belt tension, but as a basic rule of thumb, you want the belts as loose as possible without squealing or slipping.