Engine Ticking and backfiring(popping under downshift0

Roy S

Well I know I have some work to do lol but....... 89 Starion with rebuilt motor and new head with 3 angle valve, balance shaft removed. Engine ticks cold or warm. Excellent oil pressure and never runs hot. I went through and adjusted tps and ips to settings shown here on the site. The car starts right up and runs strong with or without boost. It only pops only under downshift. The person that I bought the car from said the lifters that he had put in the car were supposed to make that noise. From reading posts on this site I believe that the engine is supposed to be pretty quiet. I am going to do 3 things next and was wondering in what order should I do them. EGR elimination, new exhaust manifold gasket, and bleeding lifters/ordering new lifters. I did notice that one exhaust manifold bolt is missing and that it looks like a homemade gasket as well. Also if someone could show me the link for egr elimination and lifter bleeding that would be a help. Thanks in Advance, Roy

the popping when downshifting (you probably are engine braking?) is an exhaust leak probably the exhaust manifold gasket you said you needed. this could also account for the ticking sound you hear. Edited by travs87tsi