etac questions

grazel3793

i have a question about the etac....when it goes bad what all does it affect...in terms on the cars electronics....now i went through all the relays and fuse links today...cleaned all the connections and fuse links and relays...had it all out today..ive done this on every car ive owned...put it all back in...it didnt help anything at all....these are the things that do not work..door locks at all...windows at all...seat belts at all...interior lights at all...interior dimmer light at all....headlights work but will not go down...so what is up?? im stumped....ive had a couiple cars have similiar problems but with cleaning up the fuses and connectors ive always fixed the problems welll this didnt work at all......willl an etac problem cause some of the problems?? if not then i have no clue at all......

interior dome light works......door lights do not work.....fog lights now work also.....everything else doesnt..

My 89 Starion did not have one when I bought it. I just bought one from here on the site. I went through all the electronics as well and was going to pull my hair out until I looked under the seat and noticed 2 harnesses and a spot for an etac lol. From what I can see, intermittent wipers, door locks, power windows, and possibly door lights. If you look at the starquest manual in electronics(diagrams) that is what I make of it. I will definitely know next week when I receive the etac.

Hey Gary,

The '88 ETAC controls the following features:

Intermittant wipers (speed sensing)

Washer (interlocked wipers)

Delayed switch dome light

Central door locking system

Door lock prevention when key isn't removed from ignition

Defogger timer

Power window timer

Theft System

I'd say pull the ETAC from your '89 and install it in your '88, but I believe they are different. Take a look at the part numbers and let us know.

Have you checked out the wiring underneath the drivers side knee pad? A lot of times you'll find some creative electrical work courtesy of the previous owners......

Regarding your headlight issue; You may want to clean the contacts in the light switch and lube up the headlight assemblies.

hey justin i pulled the etac out and started the car earlier..i didnt affect anything at all...so your saying on the drivers side down by the fusebox?? the kick panel?? i just got the dome light and fog lights to start working tonight.....

The etac is located under the drivers seat if you did not know. The eteac should have 2 harnesses going into it. one with 16 wires and the other with 20 wires. I know for sure on my 89 that it controls power windows, inter wipers, door locks, and defogger. Some parts of the etac could still be functioning thus your wipers. It is a circuit board and all parts of the board may not be fried. If someone ever jumped the car with reverse polarity it will fry the board. Hope this helps a bit. Roy

yeah i have the drivers seat out now....so when i take the etac out totally...my wipers still work...so when i have the etac out..the car does the same as when i have it hooked up...i tried one that came out of a 89 and the wipers constantly ran so i am assuming that etac is bad.....the etac that came with the car is pretty rusty looks to have been wet at one time or another...i just got this car last week so im playing with it here and there......

yeah i have the drivers seat out now....so when i take the etac out totally...my wipers still work...so when i have the etac out..the car does the same as when i have it hooked up...i tried one that came out of a 89 and the wipers constantly ran so i am assuming that etac is bad.....the etac that came with the car is pretty rusty looks to have been wet at one time or another...i just got this car last week so im playing with it here and there......

I took some time to look through the wiring diagrams on starquest garage and also found another website with the grounding points. Just for crap and giggles I noticed that the etac, pop up headlights, and the seat belt computer are all on the same grounding point number one. It looks like it is located near the air can and fog light/fan relays. Just an idea when something doesn't work for me I always check the grounds. Here's the link. http://www.tristarion.com/htmlman/Electrical/electrical.html Hope its the ground. Roy oops page 26

Edited by Roy S

Just out of curiosity, I disconnected the the grounding point on the inside of the passenger side front quarter panel near the air box and lost my seat belts and pop ups. I can't say anything about the etac since my car does not have one since I bought it. Ordered one today he is shipping it tomorrow. BTW the popups have nothing to do with the etac, all I can see is that they share a common ground with the etac, seat belt controller, and popups.

thanks roy...i will check that out when i get a chance to look at the car again..hopefully it will be something simple as a ground..still wondering why the door locks and door lights and windows are not working...thanks for checking out the ground...

thanks roy...i will check that out when i get a chance to look at the car again..hopefully it will be something simple as a ground..still wondering why the door locks and door lights and windows are not working...thanks for checking out the ground...

Being that I am missing the etac I had to hotwire my windows at the main window switch and I had my door locks working with an aftermarket alarm system so I know they work. I removed the alarm because when I closed my door with the key in the ignition the alarm locked my car one too many times while running lol, so I took out the alarm. The alarm was wired to the door lock accuator rather spliced. So my windows work when hot wired and door locks when when hot wired via the alarm so I have come to the conclusion that it is the etac that is missing in my car. I also have checked all the relays and wiring in the car. There are 36 wires going into that etac on my car. I really believe that if the etac is not working correctly that the circuit is broken to the windows and power locks.