sometimes excess cranking to start...sometimes

illjill

It just started doing this recentaly but usually..it seems when I have my car sitting in the sun for a couple hours its will take like a couple seconds of cranking until the motor turns over. But then..when it sits all night, like when I go to work in the morning you just turn the key and go. I dont hear the fuel pump prime when the key is in the on position... :character0292: . The pump is the OE replacement which is only a little over a year old...any ideas on whats going on? thanks guys :blush:

I dont hear the fuel pump prime when the key is in the on position...

Common misconception for StarQuests: the pump does NOT run when the key is moved to ON. It only runs when the key is in the START position; then once the engine runs the ECU keeps the pump running. That's why you don't hear anything turning the key ON. Fuel pressure is supposed to be trapped in the lines by closed injectors and a check valve at the pump outlet when you shut the engine off... that trapped pressure is the "prime" next time you try to start.

Injectors that slowly leak can flood the engine, leading to hard starting. But let the leak go for many hours... the gas eventually evaporates and the engine starts normally. How long does it "sit in the sun" and have the hard starting problem? Let it sit in the sun for 8+ hours and see if the problem persists.

mike c.

Mine did it on engine warm starts, not hot or cold starts. I took off the OVCP after running the car to temp and could look into the TB and see the fuel drip out of the injectors after i shut the car off.

• 1 month later...
yeah it always does it when it sits in the sun for a couple hours..and yes there is a puff of smoke when it first starts up but after a few seconds it clears out. so my injectors are leaking then? Edited by illjill

hard starting, puff of smoke....id say yes..and bet money on it too. mine did the saaaaame thing

its probably only the primary too....id say take em off and pressure test them with a compressor before you go out and buy 2...unless you have the money n want the extra reassurance and/or the secondary is bad to.

Do not use a compressor to blow air into/through your injectors. If you can do without your car few a week send them off to be professionally tested and cleaned. RC Engineering, or Withchunter, both do a great job. If you've gotta try something yourself do this...

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=9...850fb236290938b