etac question

grazel3793

i think i am needing a etac for my car.....headlights will not go down, power windows do not work, power locks do not work, and seat belts do not work....i had an extra etac laying around off an 89 and when i put that one in...my wipers would not stop...so that tells me its no good....and the one that came with the car doesnt make the wipers run constant..so im really confused...is this the normal problem for a bad etac???

Headlights, seat belts, and wiper SLOW/FAST modes are unrelated to ETACS. Wiper variable speed/Intermittent mode is ETACS. The headlights do have a pop-up mode when the alarm goes off; that's a separate circuit though from the normal pop-up/down wiring.

Look at the fusible link box. The various items not working on your don't share anything so you've got several separate bugs. Trace them one by one.

headlights: usually the "cluster switches" on the instrument pod. Lightly touch either upper button and shake/wiggle it... if that makes the motors try to work your car has the usual flakey buttons.

Seat belts: if both won't do anything, look for a round circuit breaker by the driver's left foot; you'll see a relay panel tucked on the side of the car, underneath the dash. Reset that breaker. If belts will go one way but not the other, then the "limit switches" at the ends of the moving-mouse track are dirty and need to be cleaned.

Power windows: ? Usually a bad fuse.

Take the fuses out one by one and verify the fuse box contacts firmly grip the fuses... the soft metal Mitsu used often looses its spring tension/grip. Needle-nosed pliers fix them... but disconnect the battery first of course.

The fusible link box (those wire loops near the battery) are a notorious electrical trouble spot. Unplug each link one by one and verify the insulation doesn't look burned/charred, that the wire doesn't feel unusually flexible, etc. If in doubt, replace the fusible link. Clean the contacts, then follow the wires coming from the bottom of the fusible link box to the various connectors; undo them and clean them as well.

mike c.

yeah i took the fusible links all out last night..im going to do the usual with them cleaning sanding...i figured since nothing basically worked it would lead to the etac...even the interior and door lights do not work....but the map lights and visor lights still work...interior lights and dimmer still work...my old black car did this when i first bought it...but was much easier...thanks mike for the heads up and post...

i popped in the car late last night to check the seat belt computer, or thats what i call it..its under the radio...i noticed that it had a few wires that had come apart from the connector..so thats something i am going to have to look into when i have a chance....

the seat belt problem ended up being the computer under the radio it had a few wires that pulled out of the harness....i got the fog lights working again....so i still have no power windows, no door locks...no interior lights..dimmer doesnt dim anything...when i pull the seat belt release lever i get no beeping sound like i do on my white one....ive done all the fuses and links...taken off the power window switch cleaned the connectors but they looked fine anyway...is this leading towards the etac??

Sorry grazel I have been late getting back to your post, been real busy. Anyways, I received the etac on Monday. Remember I was missing mine completely and had my windows hot wired. I hooked up the etac and now have power windows, interior lights, rear defogger, intermit wipers, and power locks. Roy