Had a driveline vibration, now it's worse

luckyboots

Okay I had a driveline vibration from about 40-50 before I worked on the car whether I was on the throttle or not but it cruised fine. I have new tires, no bent rims, bearings seem good. I had a bad CV shaft so I replaced it with a good used one. At the same time I did all new MK1 master poly bushing kit, brakes, rotors, springs, etc. Since I did all that I still have a vibration but it's very bad from 40 on up in any gear but it only vibrates when I'm accelerating or decelerating. If I match the RPM's with the speed of the car the vibration goes away. Doesn't vibrate at all below 40. The rear end clunks a bit when I put it in gear, but I do have a stage 2 clutch. I also installed Eibach Pro Kit springs.

Questions: Are the CV shafts directional? Could I have accidentally put a right side shaft in the left causing a vibration?

How can I check the torque tube or U-joints? I rotated them with the drive shaft off and the play seemed minimal at best.

Why would replacing one shaft make the vibration so much worse? I thought maybe the tighter bushings made it more noticeable but the vibration behavior has changed completely. Only on decel and accel and none below 40.

Who could I look for to replace the U joints and rebalance the drive shaft? I imagine I can do it myself but I did a search and found they are balanced.

Who can service a torque tube if need be?

Sorry for all the questions but I just spent a week redoing the suspension and this kinda bugs the crap out of me.

you can service the torque tube, and the u joints.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=983

chances are you vibration is linked to one or both of those parts.

i had vibration and did about the same as you replacing mounts but only i used new mits stock parts instead. my vibration was still there until i replaces my u joints.

i went thru autozone and advanced auto parts, DONT GO there cause they dont fit and you will give yourself a headache trying to make them fit. the problem is the c clips that hold the caps on are too thick and they wont press all the way on.

go with NAPA u joints, they worked perfect and the c clips are thin enough they can be pressed on correct.

any other parts you might need go here.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1200