Oil Pump

Rival

Ok, here is my story...

this summer i purchased a 1986 conquest TSI with a blown crank, spun bearings and a brand new aluminum head. so i rip this thing apart and send it to a machinest to have it "reconditioned" with new oil pump, wiesco forged pistons .035, new crank and clevite 77 rod and main bearings, had the block decked and new freeze plugs, it was also magna flushed and hot tanked...

i fork out $1900 for parts and labor including new gasket kit and new timing guides. I get this engine back after 2 weeks all cleaned up and ready to go... After a week of install and priming i finally get to the day where i get to fire her up!!! i was so excited. i had been waiting for 2 months to get this thing fired and here is what happened.

she fires after two tries of cranking...comes right to life and runs at idle real strong, but it almost sounded like she was misfireing. my buddy and i were making sure everything was working and that the water system was working. we let it idle for 20 minutes before we shut it down to do the timeing. right when i shut it off it sounded like and felt like it siezed...we could not et it to turn over at all and the starter just groaned. i quit for the day

come back the next day and it starts to turn over but there was a NASTY squeek everytime the crank made a rotation...so i start trouble shooting and eventually send it to a DIFFERENT machinest.

i just got the word back today that my crank is shot, spun bearings on 3 mains and the block is cracked. now why did this happen?

well first of all...Mitsubishi and Chrysler use two different oil pumps...The mitsubishi pump has a sump that attaches directly to the pump . this pump fits real nice in the mitsubishi motor because the stamped oil pan is about 3/8ths of an inch deeper then the chrysler pan. so my machinest basically cantilevered the sump against the bottom of the pan, not allowing for proper flow also causing the sump to pull out of the actual pump. I had Half air, half oil running through my engine.  the proper sump for this application hooks directly to the bottom of the block where there is a gallo that flows directly to the pump...

just so everyone knows...BEWARE IN REBUILDING, CHYRSLER AND MITSUBISHI distinguish between oil pumps even though the casting number on the side of the block is the same. I hope no one else has this problem

Kevin

i have a Chrysler pan with a mitsu pump. if you look at the bottom of the block you will see what i am talking about. i think that if you had the mitsu pan and chrysler pump it would be ok...its just in my case that it is not.

Legal action is being persued...we will see how this turns out...

Kevin

yes the pick up tube is different, sump=pickup tube to me...so yeah like i was saying, the pick up tube for the chrysler hooks up to the block and oil flows through a gallo to the pump...with the mitsu tube hooks straight to the pump...

Kevin

I may be wrong about this, but it was my understanding that

the difference in the oil pumps was not between

Chrysler and Mitsu, but between the turbo version of this

engine used in the Starion/Conquest vs

non-turbo versions used in the sedans, K-CARS etc.

Other differences is that only the StarQuests and the

engines used in the trucks have the piston cooling oil squirters,

the others do not.

Man that is horrible! I'm sorry to hear that Kevin.

I just had almost the exact same rebuild done to my engine (cost me about the same too). When I dropped off my engine I didn't fully disassemble it and I gave him a sheet of all the parts, with part numbers, that I wanted. He STILL "forgot" to purchase the BSE kit so that set me back a few weeks, but other than that it went fairly smooth. I also assembled it myself so that I knew everything was installed correctly and torqued to spec. However I did make one mistake but it wasn't a big deal. I'm putting the last finishing touches on it now and should have it running by the end of the weekend.

BTW, I think rjf is correct the oil pumps are different between NA 2.6L's and the turbo'd 2.6L.

Joel...either way, all that i know is that the wrong pump was put into my block and now all i am left with is a cracked block and nothin else.... :-/ but tomorrow is going to be the day that i come in contact with the machinest to see about getting my money back!!! i will keep you all informed as to what happens... It just sucks that it had to happen this way, ya know?

i mean i worked so hard to get this thing running...and i didn't just half a** it in ordering parts and getting the proper stuff done...but in the end, it should all work out, just a minor set back

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is the finish to my story.

i sent my block to another machinest and he is the one that discovered all the problems. I had him write up on professional letter head, what was wrong and why it was wrong. Then I wrote a letter letting this machinest know what was going on and included the other letter from the second machinest.

basically i asked for my money back, but i got a call from him within 2 days of the letter being sent and he was awesome, was not angry, did not fight it. He just wanted t odo the right thing. he asked for the engine back and he even told me he would pay for the work my other machinest already did!!! looks like things are going to work out

Kevin

ya, most likely he ordered a non-turbo oil pump.

guys, when rebuilding, go get an oil pump from the dealer and hand it to the machine shop. dont cut corners here.

order from www.mitsupartsdirect.com and save 30% off retail, its the cheapest place.

Oil pick up MD021576

Oil pan           MD020230

Oil pump    MD069800

Does anyone know the difference between the two oil pumps listed ?

(I didn't list the other Oil pump part number to save confusion)

Is the difference the relife valve? Maybe a stronger spring?