Strut/shock help

I need a good alternative for rear shock replacement. I have been to a few sites and I know Tokicos are discountined (despite some sites saying they have them) and according to the KYB site, the GR2s are also discountinued. I have front Tockicos, Tokico shock mouts (4), and GC coilovers ready to be installed. Any suggestions for rear struts that will not require mods like the MR2/KGX set up?

I need a good alternative for rear shock replacement. I have been to a few sites and I know Tokicos are discontinued (despite some sites saying they have them) and according to the KYB site, the GR2s are also discontinued. I have front Tockicos, Tokico shock mounts (4), and GC coil overs ready to be installed. Any suggestions for rear struts that will not require mods like the MR2/KGX set up? - fixed^^-

you should post pics of the process when you do it ^^

sorry my post isnt constructive to the point but it could save some one else issues later ?!

mookee (101) has the only available bolt-on performance rear struts available as of now (go check the gp forum) unless you want the worse than stock gabriel or monroes

Thanks, Mookee was going to be next search since they offer their complete package. I just got the reply from the other company this morning had not had time to look elsewhere since then. I will see if I can just get the rears. I need suspension BAD. The tokicos I have on there now have about 170k miles and finally just gave out.

No more GR2's! I know Tep has a bad rep but here's what's on their site.

http://racetep.com/dod_mit.html

scroll down for rear strut mod

The tokico Illuminas that they list they as an option (for an extra $120) ARE the MR2 inserts that I'll be going with.

The easiest way to use them is to get a hold of some rear SHP struts, pull them apart, cut off and patch the adjustment knob, and make a spacer to go into the bottom of the housing (1.875" I believe), put it back together, and then I think you have to enlarge the hole on the strut mount, not sure yet, again, I'll find out soon. hehe

Edited by D_Venable

The tokico Illuminas that they list they as an option (for an extra $120) ARE the MR2 inserts that I'll be going with.

The easiest way to use them is to get a hold of some rear SHP struts, pull them apart, cut off and patch the adjustment knob, and make a spacer to go into the bottom of the housing (1.875" I believe), put it back together, and then I think you have to enlarge the hole on the strut mount, not sure yet, again, I'll find out soon. hehe

Can the rear Tokicos be rebuilt or modfied to accept front inserts?

Edited by Austin88ESiR

well, anything is possible, lol, but it would take a lot more work as they're a sealed unit, but it could be done with a set of donor front strut housings (for the top threaded portion, and nut)

I think the rear SHP housings can almost directly fit the front "stock" non-SHP inserts, I've only read that a couple of times, haven't ever tried it myself though. This is after the removal of the adjustment knob of course

just for the record, i know he is not everyones favorite, but professor quest has 5 sets of the REAR KYB's hes beeing sitting on. BUT he now only has 4 left cause i have a set on the way.

i was about to get in on the GP from MK but i decided to call him and see if he still had any. i am very glad i did. and i am actually giving thought to buying another set of the rears in case i buy another quest someday.

Edited by cyberquest