easy and effective dristributor mod

Kryten93

I got tired of my car lugging off the line, so I looked into the mechanical advance system. Some parts were rusty others all gummed up. So I removed the advance plate and took it apart. I went after it with emery cloth and never-seize compound.

Start by removing the cap and rotor. then take out the small bolt holding the plate assembly it is a 8mm. Now slide the assembly out of the distributor. The springs do pop off easily just don’t lose them. And same with the retainer (Jesus Christ) clips holding the weights on. Clean the components with carb cleaner to remove any gunk build up. Then to on remove the rust on the shafts and the holes on the weights themselves. Just tear a thin strip of emery cloth and roll it up and thread it like a needle, then pull it through the hole. Make all the areas of contact rust free to allow free movement. When you reassemble the parts put a little never-seize on weight posts only. Now this is a good time to invest in a distributor curve kit. it can be found at most auto parts stores or performance parts suppliers. Its even better if you have another distributor like yours. What you want to do is replace the bigger of the two springs with one of the same size that you already have. It’s not hard to tell the one you want to replace. It has less coils and slightly thicker spring material. Once it’s all together put it back on the car. By doing this spring swap, it allows your mechanical swing out quicker. The lighter weight spring allows the advance system to engage at a lower rpm thus improving low-end and mid range power. But don’t go too lightweight, it might cause the timing to become too advanced and be harmful to your motor.

I did this on mine today and  :o talk about a huge difference in power!!!! the butt dyno results were very impressive!!  ;D But even if you do not want to mod your mechanical advance system, you should check it periodicaly to ensure it is working properly.. oil and dirt and can gum these things up in a hurry!!

hope this helps

Bret

kryten, there are a good many of us who have been saying this for years.  These distribs are physical and do work manually to a good degree for many years.  While these probs are often overlooked for others (such as a bad vac advace) one can go no where if the stock ign system is not working as it should.

Great post

pen

part number and manufacturer for spring kit?  I got one for a small block chevy made by Mr. Gasket and the springs weren't even close...

Nate

well i robbed the lighter spring off another distributor  ;D  i was informed that you can try the accel recurve kit P/N 110-31041.  Or possibly the springs off a caravan or mighty max P/U. just go junkyarding at pick a part.   the electronics are different but its the lighter weight spring you want.  ill look into this more and get back to you about it. sorry for the confusion.

Bret