302 swap question....

logikfive

Those of you that have done the 302 swap, how much clearance do you have between the valve covers and the brake booster?

i've uploaded alot of these pictures to the server i use. but i'm not sure if the thread i made survived on here..

however it's still on here.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=37046

and i've taken detailed pictures of what i've done so far. if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

i'm still working on the car but i believe i'll be taking a different direction..

switching to a 1jz/2jz instead and parting out the 302 stuff, custom headers, drive-shaft, etc...

~J

I seen your car/project but never saw a link to a Ford form where you had even more photos.

That helps tremendously. It looks like you had atleast 1.5" to 2" worth of clearance between the valve cover and the brake booster.

The reason I asked is because I did some basic measurements on a Pontiac 400 that I had originally built for a Trans Am that I am going to stuff in the Conquest since it will be an easier fit than the Mopar 360 that I have as well. The only serious issue (and even that isn't that serious) is the brake booster issue and transmission tunnel clearance for a TH350 (My '86 is originally a 5-spd, but I don't mind automatics and it will be easier) Not to mention the power gain between the Pontiac 400 and the Mopar 360, (500hp at the crank -- vs the 360's 300hp) Engine mounts are similar to the Ford, where you only need to move it forward a couple inches instead of making a whole new front engine cradle for it.

Just out of curiosity, why are you going a different direction?

One last question, on your fuel cell, I planned to do the same thing (so I could effectively use a X-pipe and dual exhaust) I even wanted a Fuel Safe cell, just because I like how they mount. Do you have a part # by chance?

Edited by logikfive

I seen your car/project but never saw a link to a Ford form where you had even more photos.

That helps tremendously. It looks like you had atleast 1.5" to 2" worth of clearance between the valve cover and the brake booster.

The reason I asked is because I did some basic measurements on a Pontiac 400 that I had originally built for a Trans Am that I am going to stuff in the Conquest since it will be an easier fit than the Mopar 360 that I have as well. The only serious issue (and even that isn't that serious) is the brake booster issue and transmission tunnel clearance for a TH350 (My '86 is originally a 5-spd, but I don't mind automatics and it will be easier) Not to mention the power gain between the Pontiac 400 and the Mopar 360, (500hp at the crank -- vs the 360's 300hp) Engine mounts are similar to the Ford, where you only need to move it forward a couple inches instead of making a whole new front engine cradle for it.

Just out of curiosity, why are you going a different direction?

One last question, on your fuel cell, I planned to do the same thing (so I could effectively use a X-pipe and dual exhaust) I even wanted a Fuel Safe cell, just because I like how they mount. Do you have a part # by chance?

no problem.

better fit, exhaust and intake are on the same side as the G54B lower clearance on the oil pan, sway bar, i won't be baking the steering box, hood clearance is better, the V150 trans fits better and is manual, etc.

and i've got a 351w based mustang i can play around with turbo's etc..

the cell was custom made. theres not really a part # that i remember persay they take a "box" and add what you want to it.

i'll see if i can dig up the old e-mails from when i ordered it and i can post them here, or forward them to your e-mail.

~J

You may want to REALLY consider some front suspension upgrades like springs and beefier steering components. Pontiac or any BOP 400 is going to be much heavier than the front suspension is designed to handle. Even if you don't make a cradle, I would gusset the existing one for added strength.

A smallblock V8 is only a little heavier than the factory powerplant. I believe that a 302 with aluminum heads and intake weighs in around 400lbs. A 350 is around 450lbs I believe. I found a listing putting the Pontiac 400 at 590lbs.

You have probably considered all this, but I just wanted to make sure you are aware...

Edited by helrazr70

Yes, I am well aware. The frame is no question going to be reinforced. I wouldn't trust it any other way.

Oh, and yes, suspension upgrades are definite. However, after the aluminum heads/intake the weight of the 400 will be shaved a bit.