hyd. lifter rattle?

joey_crandall

so when i first start my car it rattles from the back of the valve cover but when it gets above 2000 rpm it stops and when its idling warm it doesnt do it either. so whats going on and what should i do. Edited by joey_crandall

so when i first start my car it rattles from the back of the valve cover but when it gets above 2000 rpm it stops and when its idling warm it doesnt do it either. so whats going on and what should i do.

first of all, get yourself some black rtv and a new valve cover gasket with the 1/2 moon.

Remove the valve cover and have a partner ready (or a lot of up and down on your part) to turn the motor over with a wrench on the crank pully (don't use the cam pully to do this) clockwise only please and inspect your lifters one by one by pushing down on the rocker arm. A lifter that is soft or empty should have a lifter that is much sloppier than those around it. Being as though they should be hard if full, you should feel the soft one.

Most likely, a piece of timing chain trash or something is letting one bleed out when sitting.

also what oil are you running? Even if you live in a cold area, I don't recommend 5w-30, 5w-20, etc. Run a good quality 10-30.

If you want to try flushing the motor, then buy some good and cheap 5-30, 5-20 etc and baby it for a few hundred miles on each while it is run through then drain and replace.

pen

its an 86 and im running cheap 5 30 in it and ive put about 130 miles on it. and the car has a dealer installed timing chain with about 1000 miles on it and the car itself has 136k miles.