Greetings from Iraq

Kr0nus

Well, you chose to be there, so no reason to complain.

So whats it like there? Trash piled in the streets? Crime and lawlessness? People without power, running water, sewage? Unsanitary conditions? People not being able to receive medical condition? People living in fear?

We really 'helped' that oil rich country eh?

Why do you think I thanked myself at the end :) . It might seem like I had a "bad day" but just 2 days prior to my birthday was payday. That always puts a smile on my face.

What's it like here? Do you mean on base or outside the base? Inside the base it isn't that bad by non-civilian standards I suppose. We have only had one attack on this base since I have been here (17MAY08) so things have been getting a whole lot better. Outside the base it's hard to say. For those of you that have never been to a third world country it probably seems horrible. But, to me it's nothing out of the ordinary really. I mean it is a war zone so I wouldn't expect it this place to have rivers made out of rainbows. It looks just as bad as Djibouti, Africa does to me. We are making a lot of progress out here. The IZ was pretty nice. All of the major bombed out buildings are being repaired by us. Sure things are moving a little slower than most of you would like but come on....It's Iraq not the US.

Mech, I have a suggestion for you. If you want to know what it's like over here come on over. Don't trust everything you read. A lot of the rebuilding process has been left out of the mainstream media.

Rebuilding is slow because precautions have to be taken to insure safety. KBR has gotten alot of bad press on safety in the past so they have stepped it up to insure that their employees are being properly protected. I would love to go over there right now as a civilian to work. Kronus, hook me up with a job there.

Also, they werent always third world country. We made it a third world country when we blew it up to pieces. They used to be modern like us and thrived quite well before we landed. I won't even get in to the debate about why we're there. I was there and did as my country asked me to do.

So yeah, hook it up Kronus...I'll come play in the sand with you.

Rebuilding is slow because precautions have to be taken to insure safety. KBR has gotten alot of bad press on safety in the past so they have stepped it up to insure that their employees are being properly protected. I would love to go over there right now as a civilian to work. Kronus, hook me up with a job there.

Also, they werent always third world country. We made it a third world country when we blew it up to pieces. They used to be modern like us and thrived quite well before we landed. I won't even get in to the debate about why we're there. I was there and did as my country asked me to do.

So yeah, hook it up Kronus...I'll come play in the sand with you.

Dude, don't even get me freaking started on KBR. I freaking hate that rip-off of a company.

What do you do for a living? You got a clearance? I'm hoping you are in the IT industry.

For the select few it was not a 3rd world country. Ask the Kurds and the rest of the "have-nots".

I work in Disability Insurance, I do have clearance and I wish I was in the IT field. I'm one of those people that can fix computers, setup networks and diagnose software but could never get hired doing that because I don't have that piece of paper saying I can do it.

KBR is ok...they used to be worse. I handle their disability contracts and at least they have good benefits for their employees.

Sorry bro the only jobs that I know of are IT jobs. Also, I wouldn't worry so much about certificates. I only have one and I just got it last year and I still make six figures back in the states. Experience is what really matters ;) .

Well it's been my experience that KBR does really sloppy work. Earlier this year a Soldier was killed in the shower via electrocution in a KBR made bathroom. KBR tried to say it was not their fault because they were not in charge of the maintenance. I'm sorry but something that is less than 5 years old shouldn't require too much maintenance if you do it right the first time. My living trailer here is made out of the cheapest materials they could find. Holes cut for electric plugs are too big, the electricity goes out 3 times a day for no reason every day and I have to walk at least 100 yards through rocks to take a piss. Meanwhile KBR's employee's get to enjoy bathrooms in all of their rooms, fenced in areas, common areas, and (Oh my God) sidewalks. Oh, and I live in the same type of living quarters as your average lower enlisted military member. We all get to live in crap while KBR gets the Ritz Carlton. It's pretty messed up. KBR doesn't even employ a whole lot of Americans over here either. Most of them are limited skill workers from other countries that way KBR can pay them less and not pay taxes.

Hey kronus, where are you in Iraq? Sounds like a Camp Bucca. I'm with the 1/179 INF and we are all over, but our housing is in Bucca. Let me know where ur at probably will be there sometime soon anyways.

Hey kronus, where are you in Iraq? Sounds like a Camp Bucca. I'm with the 1/179 INF and we are all over, but our housing is in Bucca. Let me know where ur at probably will be there sometime soon anyways.

Actually I am at VBC (Victory Base Complex). I'll have some dealings with Bucca coming up here soon. I could tell you via email on SIPR if you want to know when I'll possibly be there and who I'll be working for, just give me your full name and I'll find you on the GAL.

KBR and Haliburton if your looking to rebuild Iraq. KBR stands for Kellogg Brown and Root

KBR is no longer part of Halliburton, it's a stand alone company. KBR no longer stands for Kellogg Brown and Root, it's simply KBR.

But yes he's right, if you want the best chance of being employed overseas it's with KBR.