Losing power. Boost drops right off..????

I have no idea what is happen. What It feels like is a spark cut. I don't think these cars have it. This is the 89 I just bought. The only thing wrong with it then was, Over head pipe wasn't on, and fuel pump was bad. Well I fix them. I did get a I believe a 1st gen maf. So I put that in there I was working great. Well today I decieded I would get rid of that hose from the maf to the trubo. I put a new one on with a smooth bore inside, I thought why not. But then I got looking with the stock air can the main air metering port, I guess if you want to call it that. Its only like a inch from the bottom of the stock air can. Thats why I got rid of the air can. Well I had a cone filter and I wasn't big enough. So I hooked the cone to the bottom of the other filter figureing, ya better air flow. Well ya it works great pull alot better off the line all the way up to about 4,500 or soo. Then it acts like spark cut or like I let off the gas. Engine doesn't miss or anything when this happens. Boost falls right off. Thats with my foot to the floor. I haven't stayed on the throttle to see if it picks back up. I know I need a tbi rebuild kit. But it never did it untill I did what I did the the air intake. I have no problem going back to stock. I was just wondering what would cause this. This is however my first 89 car. I still have a 86. But I am not used to the 89 style. I know its not much different. I do know the differance for the most part. I do have a 2.5 exhaust all the way back. boost I believe is around 11 or 12. Stock 12a does have some shaft play. I was told it had a street head and cam. I pulled the vavle cover just alittle bit and it does have a non jet valve head. I need to get the fuel gauge so I can see it but just idlein its around I think 38psi I would have to double check. Any idea's.

not sure what you did for the air filter BUT if you have a 1g turbo air mass AND lid you can clip the stock 1g air filter right to the lid , you deff can not use the old air filter houseing and the 1g mass lid , going to the 1g air mass means doing away with the air filter houseing

I used the stock lid. I redrilliled the holes, Made connector hole bigger too. The frist gen has alot bigger air flow right. B/c this one is alot bigger. So I am pretty sure. Then I took the round filter we got that goes in the stock can and put a cone filter on the end of that. So it like one massive filter. I need to juster get a big cone filter. But for now it works. I havn't done anything else to the car. I will today though.

wow i think i am having all most the same problem and not sure ware to start i have a 87 that had a boost controler on it and when i bought it the turbo was getting a lot of back presure when you let off the gas so i added a bypass valve and all the heard pipes and it allso has a mass from a eclipse i think that is what you are calling the 1g mass and i allso modified the stock lid so it would take the 1g mass so i could keep the stock look and air can but any way when you get on the gas the boost climes solw and when it hits about 14psi on the stock guage it is like a rocket by then ,and it cuts off like a ton of bricks and if you stay on the gas it hist back on the same way wow not good and i think the rpm,s are at about 4500 i was wondering if a vacume line colaps or the by pass is not set up with the right amount of washers turbosx or coult it be the injecters not keping up .let me know what you come up with thanks i will try to add a pic but i still do not know how to get them on this web site they need to be resizes.

Tell ya what. Started the car today. Drove it no problem. Turbo finally went through blowing smoke like crazy once I boost it. But I can hit 5k now. I still has a spitting spudder problem after that. Not sure what it is but I don't have the fall on its face any more.

stock air filters do not work well with 1g air mass's,, bottom of filter too close to the bottom of the air mass, restricts the air flow , it's best to use the 1g air mass lid,,and a 1g air filter

ok so if i want to keep my stock can i should just go back to the stock mass or would that just be stupid.i do not no y i am so atached to that dam thing i just like to keep it looking stock as posable and do not like the way you have to bungie the air filter to the mas lid and have it bouncing around under the hood . also in refrence to the droping off problem i removed the boost controler and now mine does not drop off like it did ether but is more like a boging problem i am assuming that is because it just not as violent because of the lower boost maby like yours the turbo is not making as much boost with it being bad.

YA I seen that the mass was way to close. I added another filter. It is huge. So there is more than enough run. Well I took it out after I put some parts in my turbo. I was still smoking under boost. So at night I took it out and boosted the crap out of it. Well it doesn't smoke no more and I really don't have any shaft play. Well I did do the same thing as it was doing again, This time I stayed on the throttle. I went to 5k and then boost dropped off and It was pulling around 7inHg and then it drop to about 4,500k. So I let of the gas for a split second and hit it again then It went right back into boost then dropped off again to what it was. I am thinking a wastegate actuator problem. I got the three port one and it is hooked up right. I have a couple laying around. When I get time I will change it. The shaft on it anyway is bent, in between the part it self and the first elbow on the arm.

beleave it or not there is a reason we say don't mod a car thats not 110% of new runing

and why the exh is the first place to start with for mods

and it's not only that the 20 yr cats haven't been any good for the last 15 yrs hehe

Edited by Shelby

Ya I know I got lucky with this car. It has a 2.5 down pipe. It went to just behind the driver seat to I had some pip laying around and brought it the rest of the way out. Its weird it does it some times and not others. I need to replace it cuz I have enough and then try it again. But the starion I had had the cats on it. They were allready gutted after I got the exhaust. Oh well better to check than not. But I will tell every one if it fixes it or not.

• 2 weeks later...
well i worked on the car to day and first i took off the stock air box and and checked to see if the 1 gen mas was to close to the botom of the air can and it was so i put the cone filter back on with with the 1gen mas and lid and tried it and still had the same problem so just for gigs i took all that off put back on a stock mas and rewired the harness for it and wow all beter not sure what is rong with the other 1 gen mas i have but it is not working unless there was just a bad conection they were bullit conecters i hate thoes things .any way it is pulling hard and smought no more jerkijng and starving out now to look at the rear end it sounds tarable like somthing is grinding when you turn .also the cluch is not holding now that it is runing a strong 12 lbs .