is a tight but soft suspension possible?

What I have at this point is kyb 2 fronts with coil-over conversion w/ dual spring setup,new ball joints as well as tie rod ends. I'm also running 45 series tires up front. though the handling especially around curves feels good, the smallest hole in the road feels like I'm running over a curb or pot hole. Is this normal for some of you guys? what are you guys running that gives a tight feel but not so teeth jarring over bumps in the road? I still have things to do to it, but trying to get a good combo.

What I have at this point is kyb 2 fronts with coil-over conversion w/ dual spring setup,new ball joints as well as tie rod ends. I'm also running 45 series tires up front. though the handling especially around curves feels good, the smallest hole in the road feels like I'm running over a curb or pot hole. Is this normal for some of you guys? what are you guys running that gives a tight feel but not so teeth jarring over bumps in the road? I still have things to do to it, but trying to get a good combo.

Yep.. any coilovers are going to give you that kind of ride. THe spring rate is alot stiffer than the stock setup. Only way to get over it is to go back to stock.

Well, you can buy coilover springs in a softer spring rate, but it'll run you around $180 for a pair. The only ones I know of that make springs in the 75mm ID variety is swift. I was thinking about buying some 6" tall springs for my coilovers to get lower, but i'll just end up getting the Mookeh units as they're far superior in design than any slip on coilover and strut combo we have available to us.

Those 45 series tires aren't helping you either. I didn't have much issue with the "hard" feeling with my stock sized tires. But my goal for the car doesn't involve comfort either, so yeah. :lol: 35 series tires in the front and 30's in the back still don't ride harsh in my opinion. I think it's perfect in the comfort area.

When it comes to riding tight AND soft, it has everything to do with the valving of the damper. Something we just don't have available for us yet.

The Tein CS(comfort sport) coilovers on my Lexus are just phenominal in that respect. Definately stiff enough for hard corner carving, but they're beautiful over cracks,dips,bumps, and such in the road.

That or really nice adjustable shocks.

They don't exist.

The closest thing are designed for the rear strut inserts of 90-94ish MR2's.. Tokico illumina's and some other type(KYB something or other).. Still only 5 way adjustable, and it requires you to use rear SHP strut housings as they can be disassembled. The MR2 struts are 1.80"(IIRC) shorter than our stock ones, so a spacer needs to be fabricated. Not a huge deal, but it's just raising the cost. I don't have a set of SHP housings to use, so who knows how much it'll take to get a pair.

There's also something from Koni. I think it's called "add a strut" or something like that.. That's an option, but nobody has done it yet. So cost isn't known and can't be compared to the other options.

For me, I already have around $1100 in my suspension(coilovers, struts, and camber plates only).. This was three years ago, and having to do it again I would definately just go with the mookeh's.. Hell, i'll get them here soon and just sell my old setup to recoup some costs.