Building a box questions. *UPDATE w/pics 8/23*

I'm planning on building a speaker box for 2 12" audiobahns to go between the humps in the hatch. I'll be using 3/4" OSB board. After I start this project I will post "how-to's" and step-by-step instructions on how to build your own if you so choose. What I really need to know is if anyone has done this and if there are any fitment issues? I have some rough drafts that I threw together in the paint program (that's all I have :lol:) that I will share when I get home. The computer I'm on right now will not allow me to save the image as a jpg file or I would post it. I have the basic layout of the box but no deminsions as of yet because I haven't measured anything. I think it is a pretty cool design but I'm sure that someone has probably already thought of it. If anyone has any info or a system in their car that sounds similar don't be afraid to speak up.

Bottom Plate: "B" needs to be as long as the hatch space (and shocks) will allow. "A" will be your choice, as to how for toward the rear of the car you want to cut it. "A" should be no less that 16" and "B" should be no less than 28".

Front Plate: The front plate needs to be "A" inches high on the sides and "D" inches high in the middle. Needs to be "B" inches long. "C" and "C" will be cut from the peaks of "A" to the peak of "D" using either a chalk like or straight edge.

Back Plate: The back plate will be cut along the same lines as the front plate, but you need to add "X" inches to each cut to give it the desired angles. This in turn will give you a slight angle toward the rear of the car thus improving bass and sound.

Side Plates: On the side plates, "A" should be cut the same length as back plate "A" and "C" should be cut the same length as front plate "A". "B" will be cut the fit bottom plate "A" and the top will be cut on the angle from back plate "A" to front plate "A". For example, if you choose to have a 4" drop from the back plate to the front plate, then "C" should be cut 4" shorter than "A".

Middle Plate: The middle plate (devider) will be cut along the same lines as the side plates, but using measurements from "D" on the front and back plates.

SO.... has any of this sunk in? it kinda doesn't make any sense if your not that good at math, but with instructions and a chart to go by it shouldn't be that hard. I'm going to get some measurements afterwhile and calculate the dimensions of the box that I'll be building. DON'T FORGET to take into consideration the thickness of the material that you will be using because IT WILL throw off your measurements.

Wow... 2 twelves... lotsa boom. I made a box for my crx for 2 12"s and it basically filled up the entire rear end and was very heavy(3/4 high density). You may want to compromise for the amount of weight it will add. Also, if memmory serves me correct the crx's back area was bigger than the quest's... be sure you calculate out the internal volume recommended for the speaker or youll spend alot of time making the box to have it sound like poop...been there done that :x . I was thinkin either 1 12" or 2 10's but then again Im gettin a little older and noone woudla talked me outta 2 12's back in the day.

peace

I've taken measurements now and there will be plenty of room. The basic size of the box is going to be 28 1/2" wide, 18" front to back and 13 1/2" high at the peaks. That would be the outside diameter of the box, so the internal size (if 3/4 is used) would be 27x16 1/2x12. I'll take measurements of the box that I have them in now and see what the inside diameter would be in a while. I'm not sure what that would equal out to in sq. feet but I'm hoping that it will be enough. I plan on getting the specs on the speakers before going into building.

Are you determined to use the 3/4"? I was never really worried about someone stealing it because I knew they couldnt lift it out of the car... but since the crx wasnt made for speed anyhow it really didnt matter to me. Another thing I learned was using 1 high quality sub vs. 2 $60 ones made a real difference... something to think about since space is at a premium.

p.s. thats a real nice lookin car...nice n shiny 8)

Thanks for the info, looks good in there. I would rather keep what I have tho being I've got right around 600 in the subs and amp. I have got to do reasearch on how big of a space my speakers call for before I start doing anything. Is there any way you could run my measurements through your system outcast? see what the final outcome would be? I built a small model of the box using cardboard and have a rough idea, but I'd like to know what it would look like if it were all semetrical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-12-Audiobahn-ALUM12n...1QQcmdZViewItem

According to the specs of the box these are in, I'm going to have to go back to the drawing boards.... The only thing that I can think of to do to compensate for the extra room is make it higher and wider.... can't really make it longer being that 28 1/2" is pretty snug back there! guess it's time to yank out the sub flooring....

If you look at my diagram above these numbers will make a lot more sense :lol: I will compensate for the 3/4 material in my measurements.

bottom plate: 27"x16 1/2"

side plates: 17" high in the rear, 14" high in the front, 18" across the bottom

back plate: 28 1/2" along the bottom, 17" high on the ends, 15" high in the middle

front plate: 28 1/2" along the bottom, 14" high on the ends, 12" high in the middle

If you need to know anymore just let me know. These measurements will vary depending on what I decide to do as far as compensating size inside the box.

Nice work... that's exactly the way I had it pictured in my head. I was going to make two seperate boxes and have one facing the front and one facing the back, but I like it the way it is. I had more of an extreme slope in mind but being space is limited I don't think I'll be able to do it as I wanted. Thanks for the 3D model.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I didn't build the box as planned but here it is.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10155/thumb_box5.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10155/thumb_box4.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10155/thumb_box2.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10155/thumb_box1.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10155/thumb_box3.jpg