GP speaker box feeler (feeler closed)

you can find volume calculators on the web fairly easily to help you do this.

Ummm, Length X Width X Height

If its angled in the front take the difference of the top length and bottom length, ie... (looking at it from the side)if the top is 10" and the bottom is 12", the difference is 2". Multiply the 2" by the height and divide by 2... this will give you the area of the triangular area, add that to the area of the 10" X 10" for a total area... then multiply this by the width of the box to get your volume.

<--------10"------>

|.........................|.

|.........................|...

|.........................|.....

|.........................|.......

|.........................|.........

|.........................|...........

|____________.|_______

<------12"-------------------->

these are just hypothetical numbers.

*if your internal volume isnt spot on it doesnt mean the speaker wont work... the closer you can be the better, but it would probably take some kind of sound measuring equipment to tell the difference of 1/4" off.

Also, dont forget that you want internal volume so you must subtract the thickness of the material you are using to get the true internal volume

ie... if we were using 1/2" mdf.... the dimensions for the inside would be 9.5" and 11.5"-(then whatever the height was)

I always preferred the sound of ported boxes.. dont have scientific proof that one is better than the other, I just preferred the way it sounded

It also might be a good idea to design a pocket for an amp in the back of the box(or wherever works best)to keep the clutter to a minimum. I was thinkin 2 10"s would be MORE than enough(unless your into the rap stuff :? ) and a 5 channel amp would be a killer yet simple set-up.

As far as the GP goes.... instead of making them for everyone, possibly just come up with a great box plan, then be a nice guy and let everyone use it for free :D ....

Just a question...what are you doing to prevent standing wave in a rectangular box? Are you stuffing it with batting? A long time ago I contacted Infinity and they calculated a design for me (unofficially) that really kicked. It had 2 12's and no two surfaces were parallel.

Just a question...what are you doing to prevent standing wave in a rectangular box?

I was thinking of that myself..I always used pillow stuffing from the fabric store and had good results. I am not a recording engineer, I could ask my uncle, but I would think the standing wave would be more of an issue if the car interior had parallel surfaces.