Mitsu v6's....questions....

MidNiteRide89

Need a little help here guys. Does anyone know much about Mitsu v6's?

I love the g54 (no really...I do), but the g54 is being taken to the max by quite a few guys now, so I'm interested in something different.

I am a big fan of 6's...I6's are my personal fav, but I want to keep the engine Mitsu. Sooo......... what are my options? What do you know about Mitsu 6's?

(Not interested in 4/8 cyls....as nice as some are.)

I don't know jack about the engine #'s....1jz/rb26 etc, so please list car/year along with engine #.

- 3kgt 3.0tt dohc

- Montero 3.8

- New Eclipse 3.8 sohc

?????

What years are good/bad etc?

I'm looking to get around 600rwhp/600rwtq. Not looking for a quarter mile terror, but rather an Interstate cruiser.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know jack about the engine #'s....1jz/rb26 etc, so please list car/year along with engine #.

- 3kgt 3.0tt dohc

- Montero 3.8

- New Eclipse 3.8 sohc

Thanks.

For the Montero 3.8 or the new 4G eclipse 3.8 there really is no aftermarket for them at this time.

A 3KGt would be in my mind the easyer swap.

Also you forgot the 3.0 3G 2000+ eclipse motor.

There are tons of after market parts you can even buy full race preped motors for them now. turbo kits, and SC kits. but the down side is with the 3G 3.0 it is $$$$ not many companys are making parts and the ones that do are asking high dollor.

The Twin Turbo 3000GT Motor is a 6G72, Dohc 3.0L I beleive the third Gen Eclipses Also use this motor just with out the turbos, Not really sure if thats a help to you, And remember if you go with a V style engine ya gotta buy 2 of everything! :shock: :shock: :wink:

The N/A 3kgt 24v V6 has 222hp stock which would be nice for a daily driver. The 300+hp TT would be kinda expensive. But bolting up a tranny to either one will be alot of work and $$$$$$..

Steven

The Twin Turbo 3000GT Motor is a 6G72, Dohc 3.0L I beleive the third Gen Eclipses Also use this motor just with out the turbos, Not really sure if thats a help to you, And remember if you go with a V style engine ya gotta buy 2 of everything! :shock: :shock: :wink:

Nope

The 6G72 is different than the eclipse GT motor in some ways.

Same block different bore.

SOHC GT VS 3000GT DOHC

I can keep going for hours but they are different motors and different trans.

The trans for the 2000+ eclipse is almost like the EVO's we share a lot of parts in the trans with them.

If you want more info I will be more than willing to share.

why would anyone wnat to put one of the 3k engines in their car?I love the cars,i had one a few years back....and the engines are POS....and the trannies.

yeah,the vr-4 are bad a** cars...but a pile to keep running.

One reason I traded my 91 3k SL for the v8 quest I have now.

Thanks for the responses so far guys. :)

I understand about the 4g Eclipse not having any aftermarket support yet, but it is a 3.8L that puts out 260hp in stock form VS the 3L and 222hp of the N/A 3kgt. Anyone know of a blown 4g and what hp it puts down?

As far as cost goes, it's not really an issue. I'm simply trying to find the best Mitsu v6 to start from. Aside from keeping the engine Mitsu, I want to go with a v6 because I'm afraid that an I6 just puts too much weight ahead of the front axle. (Very interested in smog's car since he moved the engine back in the chassis.)

If I were to pick a v6 from a different car, it would be the VQ series from Nissan....I love that engine.

Anyway, back to Mitsu v6's.... star_V8_quest, would you please expand on your experience with the 3kgt engine? (The tranny would be something other than a Mitsu, so that is not an issue.)

Thanks for the responses so far guys. :)

I understand about the 4g Eclipse not having any aftermarket support yet, but it is a 3.8L that puts out 260hp in stock form VS the 3L and 222hp of the N/A 3kgt. Anyone know of a blown 4g and what hp it puts down?

As far as cost goes, it's not really an issue. I'm simply trying to find the best Mitsu v6 to start from. Aside from keeping the engine Mitsu, I want to go with a v6 because I'm afraid that an I6 just puts too much weight ahead of the front axle. (Very interested in smog's car since he moved the engine back in the chassis.)

If I were to pick a v6 from a different car, it would be the VQ series from Nissan....I love that engine.

Anyway, back to Mitsu v6's.... star_V8_quest, would you please expand on your experience with the 3kgt engine? (The tranny would be something other than a Mitsu, so that is not an issue.)

The 4G eclipse has aftermarket people looking at it. Greddy built a turbo kit that gave it 80hp

and shepered is looking at building a kit. Then again he said that about the 3G eclipse.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the replies.

The new Eclipse engine would be interesting, but I believe I have found the engine of choice....for me.

I found a great website with TONS of info on this engine. The guy that did this to his 3kgt has a shop and specializes in these engines. (Info from that site below.)

3.5 6G74 v6

You must be very carefull selecting the engine. All of the 6g74 Engines will bolt to the transmission (3kgt tranny) but the accesorries vary a LOT.

Avoid SOHC Diamante and Montero motors, they need a LOT of modifications to work

94-96 DOHC 3.5L Montero motors are a decent choice but they have cast cranks and accesories still need a lot of Modifications.

The dipstick tube will be on the back of the engine too.

See my Parts Comparison Pictures page for pictures of Montero DOHC engine.

The BEST engine is a JSPEC 6G74 engine from a Front wheel drive Mitsubishi Debonaire, Pajaro, or Kia Grandure (mitsubishi made engine)

I would suggest that a JSPEC FWD 6G74 engine is the ONLY engine to consider, This web page is dedicated to this engine. The Engine I recieved had a forged crank in it! That alone makes this the only engine worth considering.

- The deck height on the 6G74 engine is 18mm higher than the 6G72 engine so it can be stroked to over 4.1L

- More cubic inches means more potetial power on pump gas which will hopefully make this an awesome street engine.

- A 4.0L twin turbo engine is basically a 2.0L engine for each turbo. There are a huge amount of DSM turbos optimized for a 2.0L engine. More options are always good.

I know that there are easier options, but I wanted something unique. Let the search begin! 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Whats up Marc? You didn't give us the name of that JSPEC 6g74 website. What was the price on that engine? And WHAT DA HELL are you doing? When I last talked to you, swapping out your g54b was the last thing you wanted to do. I was telling you how frustrated I was with this motor. Ha,ha,ha, what happend to you man? Did it bite you too? Also did you sell your '83?

John

John! How's it goin man!?

Nah, I might be in the minority with SQ's, but I have NEVER had any issues with the g54. Taken care of, they are awesome engines.

As for the swap, yes, I was a purist for YEARS, but after seeing so many guys building the 54 to wicked new levels, I decided to go a different route..... with this car. I may get an '89 Fiji Quest someday and build the 54 in that car for sentimental reasons. (My first ever SQ was an '89 Fiji Quest with all options. I miss that car!)

I'm still researching this swap though, so details will take a while. This car is going to be stripped down to every last nut and bolt and built by professionals. I've contacted a few well known shops to talk prelims and so far I've gotten some good advice/ideas and enthusiastic responses. Some even knew what the car was and commented on how nice SQ's look!

I have a build notebook filled with specs/pics/etc... I have no idea how long this might take, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Still have the '83. Buyers talk, but have no cash, so..... :roll:

What link are you talking about? I didn't put any links in my posts.

I went over to 3si.org and started researching the 6g72. I was looking for common problems/tips/tricks/mods and such. While searching, I happened across a post on swapping out the 6g72. Two or so pages into the thread was the guy that had swapped out the 6g72 for a 6g74. He had a link to his page and, after reading it, I decided to go with the 6g74.

A 4+ liter 6g74TT will do nicely for the power I want while keeping the car mostly Mitsu. (I say mostly because I don't believe Mitsu makes a capable enough tranny.)

It will also keep the majority of the (engine) weight at/behind the front axle.

Hey Marc,

Sorry to highjack, but send me a PM on what's new with you. Haven't heard much outta you so I am just wondering what's up.

If you need help with anything on this swap, let me know. I know the proffesionals will be doing it, but I know I can help somewhere with it.

Dave 8)

Hey Dave, what's up man? How's Liz?

I appreciate the offer, but this car will be done by a custom shop. I want this car to be on caliber with top show cars. It will NOT be a trailer queen, though....she'll be a runner.

Just remember, this project is only in the planning stages so far!

If/when I get an '89 Fiji Quest, I'll build the g54 and then I'll need plenty of help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, I'm not yet positive what tranny I'll run yet. All I can say so far is, I want a durable 6-spd and it will have custom gears matched to the engine. I'm open to suggestions.

What about using a Ford T5 for its availabilty and cost for the intial buildup. You can literally trip over these things in the yard. Then if you can get this thing up and working well look at all the aftermarket support you have for the T5. Then you have all the hot direct replacements for the T5, i.e.; Richmond and Tremec.

I was going to do a swap awhile back, but then I ask myself, what did I really want out of this car in HP.

I wanted a streetable car that could produce 300-500 HP. Well I realized, I already had the motor I needed, the G54 will do that and more.

With that said, If I was to swap it would be the Buick Grand National Motor.

http://www.perfectfitts.com/StarQuest/slides/National_Motor.jpg

I have pics of that car too. Sweeeeet!

I am keeping the engine Mitsu though. I also understand how capable the 54 is....I got a ride, and video taped it too, in Boosted_One's car. (MPI 54 and BAD a**!!!)

I also wanted a bit more HP then I've seen on the 54 and wanted it to be smoother. A true highway GT, not a quarter mile terror. An I6 is MUCH smoother than a v6, but I already covered the reasons I'm going with a Mitsu v6.

To each their own. 8)

• 1 year later...

Right now 3si is worrying over oil pumps, some failures cropping up, mitsu may have changed sources to a different chinese manufacturer for the pump gears as of late.

Dynamic Racing had their 3.7L car on the dyno. Thats a custom billet crank, over $10K just in the SHORTBLOCK. Car also had stage III heads and DR 1200 turbos. MADE LIKE 515AWHP AT 15PSI!!! New oil pump quickly failed and destroyed high dollar engine, so sad, thats all of the 3.7 for now.

Some more displacement and the right heads will make MEGA POWER at low PSI and it just goes up from there.

nelson's got the 6G72TT AWD dyno record so far with 9XXAWHP and thats on an auto 3.0L I believe.

The 6G74 is the best choice for more displacement without extreme costs of custom billet cranks. J-spec version forged crank, rebuild it with forged 9:1 pistons & rods. Upgrade on your heads and cams, slap on those DR 1200hp turbos. It'll spool them almost like stock 9b's and have you boosting to 35psi. Pair that with a TH400 tranny, in a Starion, for over 1,200rwhp.

6G72>2JZ

• 4 weeks later...
Nelson's car was a 6G74 (3.5L). The 6g72 is a good motor, but as of late they have shown one weakness that may put a bit of a damper on things. The cranks like to crack, 500HP for 2 years of hard abuse or 800HP for one and they are done. I wouldn't think the 6G74 or 6G75 (3.8L) would be much if any stronger.