Anyone ever have the stock alt rewired for 100+ amps?

Pr4mnceMan

I've been screwing with a small block chevy 120 amp alt for 5 hours and still can't get the brackets to line up correctly (They ARE NOT Tim C's.) and am frustrated beyond belief. We have a local shop that will rewind alternators so I was thinking of just taking them the stock one and having it reworked.

Was curious if any of you guys have tried it and what luck you've had with them. Thanks in advance.

it should work just fine.my v8 quest uses a 75 amp ford alternator that noone knows where the one i have came from.When it went out,i had to have it rebuilt.

I asked the guy about rewinding a 61 amp chrome alt to 75.Said no problem...he could rewind anything...and cost about $35 :wink:

and 1 year warranty

Most of them went out of business due to auto parts chain stores, you know the places that sell a reman alt that just has whatever one part broke fixed that usually don't last long? These guys go in and rebuild everything including swapping them out on most vehicles for what the auto parts sell them for over the counter. Just like everything. I have a stereo shop, and I can get any parts for cd players, cables, cages, cd changer cartridges. We have been struggling for years becuase of the 5 big chain stores we have here. We do far better work, but we still don't have the majority coming to us anymore, they think they'll get better service at these big stores. We are a specialty shop, we fix every else's problem. These big stores don't do anything but sell new product. So when all thse big store shoppers put us out of business, they'll have no where to go to get replacement stuff they may need other than calling the manufacturer themselves and having it shipped to them.

Well to save you time I called both shops here in Huntsville and they heard the word Mitsubishi and said nothing could be done to upgrade them. They can make a standard GM alt 240amp, but can't do a thing with ours. Kinda odd we still have them here, Huntsville is over 250K and about 80% is engeneers that don't work on their own cars. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

those things last 7 months which is usually 1 month past the 6 month guarantee they give you.

did you get the chevy alt. with the arms at 6 and 12 oclock? i put my bracket together in about 30 minutes.

all I used are two 2x1/2" aluminum pieces and drilled the two ends for two long bolts and two 1/2" thick washers used as spacers to move the alternator forward to line it up with the belt.