Questions About Carbon Fiber

Jason87TSi

I didn't want to junk up the GP thread going right now about carbon fiber hoods, but I have a couple of general questions about them I was hoping someone could answer here.

Do they work with your stock hood latch (you don't need hoodpins, right?)

I feel like I've heard bad things about them before when you use your stock hood prop, as in you can warp them leaving them up too long.  Is this true?

Finally, do our heat shield and hood liner fit back in them?  I'd hate to have one without them.  

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject of carbon fiber, but I'd appreciate a little insight on the subject.  

Thanks, Jason

I'm hoping it goes thru, but until we see a finished hood we won't really know. I know CFing is very similar to laying fiberglass. Just more important how the visual face of the hood looks as you cant be primering and painting to cover flaws ;). I'm sure underneath will be similar to a FG hood and I know the cowl FG hoods that were made have the stuff for mounting to the hinges and the latch. However there is no way to attach the heatshield to the hood without using a strong adhisive.

Hope this helps out.

I didn't want to junk up the GP thread going right now about carbon fiber hoods, but I have a couple of general questions about them I was hoping someone could answer here.

Let me first say that I have absolutely NO experience with CF for our cars, go figure ;D.. But I have seen, owned and played with many different hoods(and other pieces for that matter(trunk lids, fenders, dash pads, front bumpers etc...))

Do they work with your stock hood latch (you don't need hoodpins, right?)

That's going to depend on the company that makes them honestly.. I've seen some really nice VIS and CC(Carbon Creations) products that included the stock hood latch made into the bottom of the hood.. Others have provisions for you to attach your old stock hood latch.. I would recommend hood pins 110%..  

Are you totally opposed to them?  Prolly because the pins color will clash with the hood right?  Let me tell ya, there are CF hood pins available.. And IMO they look totally sweet in person, kinda hard to get the feel of it in that pic..

I was with a friend in a 89 Supra on the freeway about two years ago.. He has a CF hood without pins BTW.. We encountered a Mustang, and you know how it goes, so soon enough we're up around 120.. And what do ya know? The F%$$^& hood flies up, bashed the window all the hell and screws up the roof and takes out the CF spoiler on the rear.. All within like 3 seconds.. Not cool.

His hood was the type that used your stock latch(that you had to attach yourself)..

I'm not sure if the other kind of hood(that has the latch built in and CF'd over etc.) would do that, but I have heard stories from other people about it happening without pins..

I feel like I've heard bad things about them before when you use your stock hood prop, as in you can warp them leaving them up too long.  Is this true?

Warp what? The hood?  LOL  It's CF man! If your stock metal hood hasn't warped in the last 18 years, why would a superior material(stronger, lighter etc..) warp?  I wouldn't worry about that ONE BIT.. ;)

Finally, do our heat shield and hood liner fit back in them?  I'd hate to have one without them.  

Again, this will depend 100% on who makes them.. I've seen both. Some are a complete 100% copy of the hoods underside(VIS) and will accept the heatshield without issues.. Then again, some don't.. You gotta know before ya buy, if it's an issue for you..

Burton, if I got a CF hood that had waves and different layers(especially of FG under the CF).. I'd throw it back through their shop window.. I don't pay for a "CFlike" hood.. That ISH better be legit.. Smooth, shiney and utterly perfect on both sides!

I thought I already had some pics of different hoods showing the "CF over FG" trick, and the different latch attachment possibilities.. I'll have to find them again..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...