MY LIGHTS WON'T GO DOWN!

‰

Okay, I apologize in advance for not posting this in the 'how-to' or w/e appropriate place it should be.... but....

My headlights have NEVER failed to retract (go to sleep).

However, I was playing a joke on my buddy who has a Daytona (notorious for stuck headlight actuators) and I pressed my 'lights-up' (top-most right) button, and shut the car off.

Well now, my lights won't retract on their own!!!  But alas, I have found a temporary fix.

I found, that by pressing the 'lights-off' button, the lowest-left button on the dash, and then proceeding to SLIGHTLY depress the 'parking lights' button while lightly pressing the 'head lights' button, the motors will draw the lights down.

I don't know if there is a way to fix what the hell I did, but this works.

Guess the joke is on me....  :( :( :(

So now do they continue to stay up after you turn your headlights off? Do you have to juggle the switches everytime you are done using the headlights?

I would say your plroblem is in the lights up switch (upper right) since thats the thing that caused it the first time. Before you buy a new switch make sure all the  ground wires in there have good grounds. If so, then it is likely a switch problem. At that point, buy whole gauge surround with all the switches. That way if it turns out to be a headlight switch or parklight switch you have one.

Unfortunately, I still have to juggle the two, left switches... :-

Personally, I'll deal with that over stuck lights, lol.  :D

I honestly wonder if there's a time-table stored in some piece of electronics.  Similarly, I wonder if working the lights in the up or down position and then disconnecting the battery will remedy this, annoyance.

I honestly wonder if there's a time-table stored in some piece of electronics.  Similarly, I wonder if working the lights in the up or down position and then disconnecting the battery will remedy this, annoyance.

Nine times of Ten, the problem is with one of the cluster switches.  I would buy a new left hand and a new right hand switch.  This should correct the problem.  Then, I would clean the contacts of the old switches.  If cleaning the old switches solved the problem, then you have your new switches for backup.  

This is what I do.

To turn on headlights.

1)  Press headlight door open switch on RH cluster.

2)  Press headlight on switch on LH cluster.

To turn off headlights.

1) Press headlight off switch on LH cluster.

2) Press headlight door close switch on RH cluster.

I know that this doesn't make any sense.  The LH cluster should trigger low-voltage relays to open the doors and light the headlights.  But after replacing each cluster switch about 3 times, I haven't had a single cluster switch failure since I started using this procedure.

lol. i had the same problem. i had help from 1 of my friends. what he did to his car was add toggle switches on the lhc on. he didnt do the right side yet. I am in the process of figuring out how to do the rhc since i screwed up that side by taking it apart because i was bored. any ways. the off switch needs a 3 toggle switch and the other 2 switches only need a 2 toggle switch. i cant remember which wire goes where. i'll take it apart and take a look at it again.

lol. i had the same problem. i had help from 1 of my friends. what he did to his car was add toggle switches on the lhc on. he didnt do the right side yet. I am in the process of figuring out how to do the rhc since i screwed up that side by taking it apart because i was bored. any ways. the off switch needs a 3 toggle switch and the other 2 switches only need a 2 toggle switch. i cant remember which wire goes where. i'll take it apart and take a look at it again.

I will say that I've found  the short.  On my system, the short is a common ground (i believe) that the TLC and TRC share.  I did some playing-around with my TLC and the lights go down fine now.

My hope in starting this thread, was for people who go to meets and theirs is the only StarQuest with lights up, to find a quick solution here.  ;D

-Conqed_Out

• 3 weeks later...