Door  Pods

emann420

Anyone intrestered in a stereo mod should check this out.

Custom lower door panels to house two 5 1/4" speakers and a tweeter per side.

I was thinking something along the lines of the two 5 1/4" speakers and up to a one inch tweeter, flush mounted,  each on their own plane facing the headliner just above the passenger's and driver's seat.

Build out the pockets for the 5 1/4's and wrap the tweeter section of the lower door pod up into the triangular section just in front of the power window switches.

For that matter for those who like a loud or just a harsh tweeter, fiberglass a pod and then re-flock the panel on the A-pilar.

What the hell, tweeters, guage pods, all flush and re-flocked.....Oh my what a good look.  

Between the guages all pointing at you, you now have six speakers stareing you in the eye, four 5 1/4" midbass and two 1" tweeters, my comment is whoa, this is cool.  

For those of you that consider this modification I would also sujest that whatever material you choose to use to cover these door pods is the same material that you cover the panel that is located behind your door pull handel on the inside of the door panel.  

I can do ready for paint, heat formable vinyl,  or stiched leather or vinyl.  

Let me know if your interested, I'm going to lay at least three pair so I need to know whether to do a male or female mold pair.  

I would like it to be a factory overlay so that you could restore your door panels to factory looking shape when removed.

One quick clarification note: You know how a double guage pod looks at you and has one gauge on one plane or axis and the other guage has another plane or axis, but they are both looking you square in the eye.... that is what these will look like: individual axis or planes for each driver to optimize on-axis frequecy response.

E-mann

Could we fit a couple of 6.5s?  I just bought some RS6 Kicker components.  I'd like to stick two 8s in the back next to the back seats.  

2-6.5 Midrange door panels or 5.25 in dash IF possible

2-6.5 Midbass door panels

2-8in Midbass or 6.5in in back next to back seats

1 L7 12in sub in tire well

poet - 6.5s are pretty hard to do in most doors, especially the kickers because of the magnet size.  If you don't mind me saying,  that is alot of speakers.  I hope you don't run into phase problems.  The dual 5 1/4s sound great in these cars and also doesn't get to big and bulky.  Try this, move the drivers seat all the way forward, get out and shut the door.  Get back in the car from the passenger side and measure how wide the door panel is on the drivers side door.  That is the maximum width of the combined speakers.  If its not about 14" wide the 6.5s will never fit with the grills.

I pesonally don't think you need the 8s in the back, the 12" and 6.5" in the rear and dual 5 1/4" plus a pair of tweeters sounds great.  Just my two cents.  Good luck!

E-mann

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Eric, Im interested in seeing these. A single 5 1/4" and 1"Tweet will be fine for me. The 5 1/4"s in the rear provide substantial rear fill. I wouldnt mind going with a single sealed 8" for some low end, and Weight savings. ;D

Steven

I was thinking of the same. I want to do 2 6.5s per door. I already have 1 6.5 in each door but could always use more.

I don't think it will be any problem making door pods for 2 6.5s. In fact, I might have to prove it this winter while the car is stuck in the garage.

Steven

I'll probably mold all of the panels with dual 5 1/4s, but I can cut one pod off if you want.  I'll have to re-glass the panel to fill the hole and re-gel coat it also. Hmm, then I can mold that one. Steven you might have yorself a discount.  Anyting is possible.

I'll start this project in the spring when it warms up.  :)

I also found my new "radio" for the quest

http://www.trc12volt.com/popup-vga-MC700TSV.html

http://www.trc12volt.com/popup-mis-MC-MPSC4.html

Check the operating temperture if you are considering a purchase.

No Discs After Loading

DVD audio-video, CD audio-video, Navigation, Internet, Rear vision camera, MP3,........

E-mann

• 3 weeks later...

Eric ill hold you to that. I just got me a Yellow 88 with Tan & Black interior. Its and auto so Ill be putting in a system since drag racing wont be done in this one. Ill probably go with 4  8" HiFonic Olympians since the dont take much space or power.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Steven: good score on the yellow one, I've never seen the two tone interior in person, looking forward to it.  Let me know when your ready to do the stereo, hopefully my shop will be open by then.

Poet: I asume you mean the monitor and hard drive, I don't know just yet, but I will get back to you on that.  

I'm having trouble posting pics on Garys site (2.6 Liter), any pointers.  I can fill out the form but when I submit them noting happens, yes I am selecting my gallery.  I've got pics of two different door panels that I made for the car along with other mods.  

***Update***

I built my first vacuum forming box this week, 1/4 scale.  If it works I'll build the big one, big enough for the door panel and maybe big enough for a dash board.  That way I can do either the very stable but heavier gelcoat/fiberglass panel or the light weight all molded plastic.

E-Mann