Has Anyone Ever.........

88_ESI_R

You need to remove the factory head unit in order to utilize an aftermarket amp without damaging your speakers, although they are only 15watt speakers and you should replace them anyway.  If you want to run the factory setup and a subwoofer with the amp, you can tap into the rear speaker wires with a line level converter for the amp signal.  To save money, you can just get a new head unit (even a cheap one ie., $150) and run that on factory speakers.  It will sound a lot better.  Unless you replace the speakers, I wouldn't worry about hooking up an amp to them.  Really, an aftermarket deck is night and day, plus you can play cd's   ;D  

Well money really isn't an issue and I'm fully aware of replacing the factory speakers. As for playing CD's, I'm really not worried about that either. I only drive her on the weekends and really like the way the factory head unit with EQ looks but a little fuller sound while I'm cruising with the top off would be so much nicer.

As for the line level converter, I thought about that. It would just have to be a really good one being that the EQ seems to have a little bit of a booster to it. In my QX4 I'm currently running the factory Bose AM/FM cassette with the 6 disk in dash factory head unit through a line converter into a JL Audio 5/500 amp. The amp is powering a set of Boston Pro 6.5's in the front, Boston Pro 5 1/4's in the rear, and a Boston Pro 10 in a custom fiberglass enclosure. So I'm sure it can be done, I was just wondering if anyone has done it yet and if so, how well did it work for them.

You can buy whats called a knock-down converter. Basicly its a box you hook your speaker leads from the factory deck. On the other side of the box it has RCA leads. You can then hook up an amp or passive eq or whatever and still use the factory deck and factory EQ for fine tuning. Ihave the Monsoon high end factory system in my Grand Am. It sounds awesome, but I needed a little more bump so I bought a converter and put in an amp and one 12" JL sub. The converter I got even had a gain Knob on it for turning my sub up or down depending on what I'm listening to.

I mounted it on the side of the console- within easy reach

Ihave the Monsoon high end factory system in my Grand Am. It sounds awesome, but I needed a little more bump so I bought a converter and put in an amp and one 12" JL sub

That's pretty funny......I also have a Grand Am, mine is a 94 GT with a ram-air hood and a full blown competition system using 3 JL 8W6's.

just get an amp that has "HI level" inputs, meaning it takes in input from another amp through the speaker wires as opposed to the RCA jacks which are "low level"

not all amps have this so ask for it when you go to a shop and they will tell you which models do. its usually not the high end amps so they are not expensive. my friend had it on his starion and it worked very well. you sometimes get noise from the ignition in setups like this so you need to use a noise filter.

Artinist, You have a valid point. That would work well on subs, but the high lvel processer in the amp are not very good (hence the engine noise). If you are planning on running it to mids and highs, the crappy processer will allow alot of distortion through to the amp which will not be good when you amplify that signal. The knockdown converters (audiolink, high to low level converter are other names) have the same if not lower distortion ratings than amps. They are fairly inexpensive, usually about 25-35 bucks. The one I got for my grand am for the monsoon system was 55 tho. Not sure if that was cause of the monsoon or the dial but I know I got a deal. I bought it from the shop that one of my good friends runs.