Cleaning the HVAC Control

Joel

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting the Grease/Grime/Oils off the front of the HVAC control so it looks clear again.

I've tried everything I can think of from Paint thinner, Plastic polishes, toothpaste, Comet, 0000 Steel wool (which seems to fog it up more than clean it) etc.

Anyone have any luck?

Joel

I've had good luck using windshield washer fluid cleaning hand grease buildups off plastic interior parts for years.  Get the non-smelly washer fluid; the ones with ammonia just stink up the car too much.

Others have posted that brake fluid of all things cleans up the a/c panel really well.  I've never had the nerve to try that.  The windshield washer stuff has always spiffed up hard plastic surfaces perfectly for me.

mike c.

I personally use the brake fluid trick.  Works wonderful.  Damn thing looks as good as it did the day it rolled of the showroom floor.  The only bad thing is that if you have scratches or a little bit of the finish is chipped off, it shows up really bad.  I was sceptical, so I tried it out on a spare unit I had that looked pretty good, but wasn't functioning.  After I saw the results, I went and did both of the cars. :)  

• 3 weeks later...
I agree that the brake fluid idea works great, just take a rag, dip a small section in brake fluid, then start rubbing on the HVAC face, you will have to rub fairly hard to get all the buildup off of it, but when you are done that sucker will shine!