Anybody convert a flatbody to the TSi body?

Overkill

This question is in regards to a 87 flatbody only and not the older models

Tried searching the archives without much success so I thought I would throw the question out there.

It would seem that the front end conversion would be relatively easy since the fenders appear to mount the same. The rear obviously would need to be welded in, but is that all there is involved?

I know your probably thinking why not just buy a TSi, but that is too easy so lets here it people.

Later

The flatty's have the 4 bolt rear end don't they? If so, you'd need to sap it out with the 6 bolt rear end.

Possibly need an intercooled turbo and intercool it.

Or give the flatty to someone who likes flatties and they can give you a fatty.

:cough: Want white, red or black :cough:

I did just read more on the flatbody not having the same rearend as the wide body models. This would be very easy to convert and would probably be a perfect time to change gear ratios.

Intercooler also would not be a big deal since I would be replacing the stocker even if it existed. Any other differences that you are aware of?

has been done in widebody-starved australia by LXS.. :D (altho I cant be exactly sure of the year of the original, I think it MIGHT be pre-87, but then again u US bloked got different setups from us here)..

I dun think she reads these forums so the question might best be asked on the bishiboys forums..

here is a link to her car (b4 and after shots): http://pub57.ezboard.com/fbishiboysfrm6.sh...opicID=38.topic

88-89 had 6 bolt half shafts at the diff.  they are the same at the hubs.  you dont need to swap diff or tranny or any drive train components but you can.  the front suspention track is wider on the widebodies but doesnt not need to be swapped.  although its all bolt up.  for the widebody rims you just need the hubs/rotors and caliper brackets, calipers are the same.  as you proboly have seen from the photos,  you have to weld the rears on like you said.  i believe the side skirt mounts also need to be welded on as well.  the front fenders and lower bumper etc will bolt right up.  if you have an 86+ you will also have all the bolt holes for the intercooler brackets and everything but thats a whole nother swap.  you can read up on it in other posts but things like coolant res. and oil cooler are in different places.  the turbo you will only need the compressor housing for and possibly a wastegate, i dont know if they are different. i know 88-89s had 3 port waste gate, all others had one port.    i might of left something out somewhere but if anythings un clear ill try to clarify.