Tutorial: Angel Eyes

JustPaus_88TSi

Follow the link to see the tutorial and pictures of the finished product.

WWW.CLUBTGC.ORG/FORUM/VIEWTOPIC.PHP?T=6034

You can use this method to make any shape you desire. I did this on my 94 Galant.

I was thinking about doing some in red for the rear taillights on the Quest, I guess i'll just have to do it, and see what it looks like.

John

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6034

Try that.

DUUUUUDE!!  Those look friggin awesome!!  They are bright as hell too!!  I'mma do that to my Bimmer!!  I want Angel Eyes sooooo bad.  I must do this.  They look soooo damn good.  Thanks for the link.  I love you!

Laters,

Brian

I got a question...could you ask your guy if this would work.  Instead of cutting slits in the back of it, could you just bead blast the back of it?  That would give it a really uniform finish and dispurse the light really evenly, I would think.  I should try it.  Man, that's a bad a** link man!!  Thanks for that!!

Laters,

Brian

I'm not sure on the bead blasting, actually I don't know what that is.  The slits are about 1/16" thick, and spaced about 1/8" apart. It took me two tries to get this right. The first set, I got the directions mixed up in my head, and I put a long slit all the way from tip to tip, like a channel. That way doesn't work, well it does, but it's not as bright. I then did the correct slit/space/slit/space/slit routine and they're very bright.

I'm trying to make six of them for the taillights on the Quest, three on each side, in red.

It looks like projector headlights when they're off during the daytime. Pretty cool stuff.

John

now i'm a little confused on his wiring instructions...  i see he means wire the led's in series, but from the instructions he makes it seem like the two spare ends both go to 1 resistor and then to power, he mentions nothing of a ground or anything like that ???  is it a 220ohm resistor to one end for power and a 220 to the other for ground?  or a 220ohm in and regular ground?

I was wondering the same thing.  Here is some info gleaned from the web:

http://www.caving.org.uk/gear/led/series.gif

From site: With a battery over 8V you can connect two or more in series, so for a 12V battery running two LEDs in series the voltage across the resistor is (12 - 3.8 - 3.8) = 4.4V, resistor value is therefore 220 ohms.

http://www.caving.org.uk/gear/led/wiring.html

just got back from radio shack...  the only 3.6v led's they had were white, but they are 1100mcd which is why they are so bright.  if i can figure out what resistors to use then i'll get the jumbo red led's that are 3000mcd for taillights. ;D  the led's i bought were $4.99/each though :( :o

and 351, here you go:

http://www.jmkdisplays.homestead.com/acrylicrod.html

Right, just like the diagram says.  Solder the negative tab of one to the positive tab of the other, then do the same for the other positive and negative tabs. Run the resistor to the positive side, and then to either a switched 12V, or to the running lights. Then run the ground.

John

Some more info on the resistors.

You need to use two 220ohm resistors PER L.E.D. Two L.E.D.'s per angeleye. So if you're just making two circles, one per headlight, then you will need a total of 8 220ohm resistors. Double that for two angeleyes per headlight and you would need 16 resistors.

Take 2 220ohm resistors and tie both ends together, then put it in series on the POS. side of the LED. Negative side is grounded.

John

It seems that i'm getting conflicting stories. Through a few emails, one guy says run two resistors per LED, for a total of 4 resistors per angel eye. Another guy says that one resistor per LED is how you do it, for a total of two resistors for each angeleye.

I think that the first guy is misunderstood, thinking that because the LED's are wired in parallel you'd need two per LED.

If the LED's are wired in parallel, then you end up with two LED's, one positive lead and one negative lead, with two resistors on the positive lead.

You could also run the LED's in series, which makes more sense to me. You'd end up wiring one of the LED's positive leads to the other LED's negative lead, tie or solder those together and cut any excess wire off. Then you have one positive and one negative lead, with two 220ohm resistors on the positive wire.

Anyone think i'm wrong?  Of course you could just wire them up both ways, and run the positive to a 9V battery with resistors and all, just to test which one works best.

John

That's the idea.  I'm working on some to go around the speedo/tach etc. in the gauge cluster, plus you could get power from the back of the cluster ;D.

I also want to make a different, more clear rear brakelight housing. With three circle angel eyes, two would be big, and the outer one would be smaller. Still keeping the stock bulbs for the brakelights themselves, just make a different housing.

The FiberDesign link that I put has some really cool stuff on it. If you can get it to work, either click on it or type it in. They use the same deal, just they use fiber optic cables, and light boxes. It'll cost alot more to make I would think, but the light is much more fluid and brighter.

John

ok, just figured out how to calc. the resistors to be used when connecting the led's in series.

you first add the voltage of the led's to be used together in series, so 2x3.6v=7.2.  now we figure out the surplus voltage which is input-led's, so 12-7.2=4.8v.  then you divide the surplus voltage by your led's target amperage, average is .020A.  so 4.8v/.020A=240 Ohms worth of resistors.  so 220 is close enough.  so we do basically like this:

+12vdc-------220resistor-------3.6vLED---------3.6vLED--------ground

oh yeah, and i just found some 6400mcd white led's on ebay for $20 for a pack of 10 (brighter than the ones i got and same voltage, but a good bit cheaper).  i'm also looking into 9000mcd ones from another place.  this stuff's got me thinking ;D

The URL in my post has the calculations needed.  The author explains the 3.6 - 3.8 difference, and also mentions that wiring in parallel is a bad plan.

EDIT: Everything I have seen says ONE resistor per TWO LED's.  The resistor can be on positive or negative leg, it doesn't matter which.