Amplifying factory stereo

offalot

Hey all , I want to run a system off my factory stereo ( this thing is just to cool to replace) i have a 6 disc on it now but i want to run a sub, how to I wire  the pre outs, I bought a "speaker level converter" wich says it"matches car stereo output to amp input"  but for one it has vehicle specific instructions , of course no quest or even close, and second this thing just looks to comlpicated to do a simple chore, you have to run about every wire in and out of it, I thought it would be a simple matter of  running the rear speaker wires through it just to tone down the wattage. any ideas??

Did not mean to offend. Not all of the higher quality amps do this. Some of them assume if you go to the trouble and money to amplify your system, you already have an aftermarket head unit. They don't take into effect that some people like what they have and just want to enhance.  Try your local Best Buy installers for help.

They do a lot of upgrades similar to what you are attempting, and I am pretty sure that they have seen our factory radios in another model (after all, dodge was involved and they try to standardise everything). Once again, NOT knocking your equip.

I've got two 8-inch subs in my Quest that I run off the factory stereo.  What I did was run a crossover unit off of the two rear speakers, then the amp runs off the crossover.  

I also ran power from power antenna(rolled itself out, so I've got an aftermarket stubby antenna) to the crossover and the amp.

Adding the subs made a big difference in sound quality.

Hope this helps.

offended?!?!  not in the least! If i sounded that way, sorry.I know my amp is a cheaper model , than again all I want is a system with  just a nice thump to it, not something that will make my ears bleed :), and as far as the factory system goes, heck I have a higher end cd player in my chevy sprint and a brand new clarion sitting in my basement, I just cant stand to lose all the cool features of the stock system. d venable, so the crossover toned down the wattage comming from the  head unit?? hmm, ill have to try that. and yeah I was thinking of using the wire for the power antenna for the remote wire, but you used it as the main power wire too?? I wouldnt think it would supply enough. well thanks for the help[ guys, and again jolly, I know my equipment isnt great, I think the amp is a pyramid  :D but hey whatever works, later ,thanks.

I AM NOT RECOMENDING THIS!!!! But in some cases depending on the voltage that the amp can take into the rca's, You can run your speaker leads directly into the rca inputs. YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT FROM THE MANUFACTURER!!!!! if this is alright though. I will be doing this in this in my car because the gain can be turned all the way down and with all that voltage available my system noise should be non-existant.