87 with a slight hiccup and emissions ?

R/Tquest

Completely stock driver. New not jet head 5K mi. ago. No problems there. This has been an irritating problem for a little while now. First It started missing/sputtering worse. I checked the turbo boot, It was cracked so I replaced it with one off my parts car. The old plug wires were causing that sputtering. New cap,plugs,wires,rotor. Now that's ok.

There's still this erratic… short, momentary miss or quick backfire normally under acceleration. Just a hiccup, Then it's gone. It does do it every now and then right after I go to shift too. like a backfire er something.

Someone did replace/exchange the injectors at some point.

Not sure where I should start with this little glitch.

reset the TPS/ISC ?

do the 87-88/89 ECU ( under the cover) swap ? or send mine out to Top end performance for $300?

new injector clips ? New injectors/regulator from Top end?

Otherwise this thing runs pretty darn good! Pulls hard. Idles OK. I'd like to make some basic mods with some help…

exhaust… oh, I failed emissions! uhg. Slightly high HC… but really high CO. My exhaust sounds kinda "blown out" Any advice there? I'm guessing a cat.? I have a good shop close by. But I'd always like to "upgrade" in these situations if possible. I love this star quest Always wanted one!!! it's my DD around townie. I'd like it to sound better. After I figure out that hiccup I'd like to start making some slight performance upgrades and I'm looking for advice there too…

what would you do with this thing!? What are your favorite mods for the buck? say you got 2000 to play with…$$ :ph34r: just a nice sounding, quick little quest. Thanx for any help. R/T

• 3 weeks later...

1 - send the injectors out for testing & cleaning.

2 - Suck on the vacuum advance line to the distributor and see if it holds vacuum and moves smoothly.

3 - Do the TPS/ISC reset.

This may be off the wall, but check the torque on the intake manifold & TB mounting nuts, and the turbo mounting nuts to the exhaust manifold. See the FSM for the torque specs.

Stay away from Top End Performance - they have earned a bad reputation here on SQC over the years. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN