How to spot a good deal?

I've been into cars for a pretty long time, and I'm fairly confident I know what to look for in a used car. I've also read about the problem areas in these cars, but I'm not sure on how to spot a deal. What can one expect to pay for a Starquest in varying states of condition? Are the examples below good deals? Thanks!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4478951697.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/4445603514.html

Not saying the second one is a bad car, but the first one is a NICE car (judging by the pics and description). He'd likely come down a bit on the price if you were serious, and it looks like the car's had a lot of love in the details. And well worth the extra $1200 not to have to paint it.

Also you could considering building one, i have two complete rust free Florida bodies with tittles, 87 5-speed (white), and 88 shp auto (red) as well as the running driving 88 black shp auto we talked about already.

That 87 sounds interesting to bad your a long ways from me even still I may be up for a long drive with a trailer if nice enough. My current 88 shp has a lot of rot. More than I would care to fix but you have that in upper Midwest. Message me!

I am not seriously looking hard right now but I would be looking for a solid 87-89 preferably with decient interior. Preferably not red interior and I'm not a big fan of red or gold cars. Doesn't have to run but I want a 5 speed car my shop is auto :(

Edited by dukaine

I REALLY liked the first one too, but it does have some floor pan rust issues (I communicated with him a little). He's also only coming down about $200, and I just don't have that kind of money allotted for this project car. Granted, I'd probably use less "restore" and "mod" funds on this one... What intrigued me about the second one is that it's the '89 model year, which had a few factory enhancements not found on the other model year cars.

I was also inquiring about the value of these cars. Granted, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it, but in the two examples above, should I expect to spend $5700 on one that looks decent with lots of mods and potential undercarriage rust issues? Is $4500 a good price on a car that needs work? I looked at a local '86 that was missing a LOT of parts and had its issues, and the guy wanted $2700. I was at $1000 max on that one. Am I out of my mind?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Also you could considering building one, i have two complete rust free Florida bodies with tittles, 87 5-speed (white), and 88 shp auto (red) as well as the running driving 88 black shp auto we talked about already.

Holy cow! How many of these cars do you have?! I was reading about the differences between the manual and auto cars, and it seems like the conversions are quite a bit involved. Your black SHP auto is really nice, but the transmission is what kills it for me. Do you have a link to the white one? Does it come with any parts or would I need to locate an engine and transmission? Thanks again!

That 87 sounds interesting to bad your a long ways from me even still I may be up for a long drive with a trailer if nice enough. My current 88 shp has a lot of rot. More than I would care to fix but you have that in upper Midwest. Message me!

I am not seriously looking hard right now but I would be looking for a solid 87-89 preferably with decient interior. Preferably not red interior and I'm not a big fan of red or gold cars. Doesn't have to run but I want a 5 speed car my shop is auto :(

You would be a good person to take the 88 shp auto car since it has a clean body, even though its red, it has a black interior, and its rust free, btw i was born and raised in Racine so i know how bad Wisconsin cars can be

I REALLY liked the first one too, but it does have some floor pan rust issues (I communicated with him a little). He's also only coming down about $200, and I just don't have that kind of money allotted for this project car. Granted, I'd probably use less "restore" and "mod" funds on this one... What intrigued me about the second one is that it's the '89 model year, which had a few factory enhancements not found on the other model year cars.

I was also inquiring about the value of these cars. Granted, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it, but in the two examples above, should I expect to spend $5700 on one that looks decent with lots of mods and potential undercarriage rust issues? Is $4500 a good price on a car that needs work? I looked at a local '86 that was missing a LOT of parts and had its issues, and the guy wanted $2700. I was at $1000 max on that one. Am I out of my mind?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Holy cow! How many of these cars do you have?! I was reading about the differences between the manual and auto cars, and it seems like the conversions are quite a bit involved. Your black SHP auto is really nice, but the transmission is what kills it for me. Do you have a link to the white one? Does it come with any parts or would I need to locate an engine and transmission? Thanks again!

Ive got four cars, 2 are 87 5-speeds, and 2 are 88 shp autos, only one of each are running and driving. I can send pics of the 87 5-speed car to your email if youd like, just message me the addy.